Non-Local Shared Folders not working via Windows Service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
dondiggah

Non-Local Shared Folders not working via Windows Service

Post by dondiggah »

hey guys,

i'm encountering following problem when starting UMS via Windows Service:
Non-Local Shared Folders cannot be found. I mounted Folders from my NAS via Network (SMB, i think) to my Windows 8 machine where UMS is running. When starting UMS via the GUI everything works fine but via the wrapper i am getting the below mentioned errors. I've tried with assigning a local Drive (Z:\) to the Folder and with no assigned local Drive

Code: Select all

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/04/18 21:00:14 | WARN  2013-04-18 21:00:14.312 [New I/O worker #13] The directory \\DISKSTATION\**\** does not exist. Please remove it from your Shared folders list on the Navigation/Share Settings tab
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/04/18 21:00:14 | WARN  2013-04-18 21:00:14.330 [New I/O worker #13] The directory Z:\**\** does not exist. Please remove it from your Shared folders list on the Navigation/Share Settings tab
Could not find anything about it.
Would appreciate any help
darkmenace

Re: Non-Local Shared Folders not working via Windows Service

Post by darkmenace »

That sounds about right. The problem is running as a service the program is running in the context of the computer not a user. Now you can change it so that the service is running in the context of a user but that starts up other issues. First issue is if that usersname and password are not the same as the NAS wants for access to the share then you won't be able to access the share still. Second the auto update program process fails to update when the service is running as a user other then the system account (the computers account). So running as a service on Windows workstations and attaching to NAS's it is not as simple as it sounds so I gave up messing with it awhile ago.

Now not to say you can't work around this but it will take some work and the auto update process may not work properly in order to support this configuration.
dondiggah

Re: Non-Local Shared Folders not working via Windows Service

Post by dondiggah »

THANKS for mentioning the user context. don't know why i did not try that. i've set up the user i am working with on my computer in the service-configuration of UMS.
Now it seems to be working as it should and my computers username/password is not the same as my NAS' username/password

for now it works as i need it to work, thank you again.