MEncoder and subtitle problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Quaternion

Re: MEncoder and subtitle problem

Post by Quaternion »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=861 I'm having the same issue. Downgrading makes no difference. I doubt that it's UMS. It should be something else.
My feeling goes to latest PS3 update.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Quaternion wrote:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=861 I'm having the same issue. Downgrading makes no difference. I doubt that it's UMS. It should be something else.
My feeling goes to latest PS3 update.
I also think that this is somehow related to the latest PS3 update (4.41).Problems started after updating, but i can not be 100% certain cause i haven't been streaming for some time before 4.41.
It is most certainly related to MEncoder and external subs.
I would like someone using 4.41 to confirm that external subs are working properly in order to rule this suspicion out.
coords

Post by coords »

I also read somewhere online trying to resolve this issue that Sony added content protection to it's PS3 OS, and that from 3.55 it was in place. Perhaps they have added protection for mkv's?? I hope not, but it sounds plausible. If anyone could test with 3.55 or earlier perhaps...?
kruol

Post by kruol »

Hi,
I am having the same problem described by Taxman.
I am also running Windows 7 - 64bit. PS3 firmware 4.41.
This problem started with me while using PS3 Media Server.
I tried moving to UMS, however it did not work also.

I tried also with UMS 2.6.4 using both java 7u17 and after java 7u21.
I tried also with UMS 3.0.0-a1 and java 7u21.

I tried also resetting Internet Explorer ( like described on http://www.playonplugins.com/index.php?topic=6460.0 by user Shanghai)

Unfortunately nothing worked.

If you need me to post logs please ask. ;)

Kruol
barbecue

Post by barbecue »

I'm having the same problem on Windows 7 64 bit and a PS3 on firmware 4.41. I've tried different versions of UMS including 3.0 and PS3 Media Server with the same results. If the file has external subtitles I run into error 800288E1.
However, I have another laptop on the same network also running Windows 7 64 bit and PS3 media server 1,72 which runs the movies with Menconde and subtitles with no problems. So I'm ruling out the PS3 firmware update and firewall, network issues since I haven't touched anything on that end.
I have tried that version of PS3 media server on the other W7 and it doesn't work, so it's something about the W7 that at some point messed up the configuration I'm guessing. I tried, deleting the font cache, the UMS. conf files, clean installs, to no avail.
The thing is that at some point, in this box I switched from an old version with subs working to a new version were subs stopped working, and from then on not even old versions work.
coords

Post by coords »

I just installed UMS 3 alpha 1 & it works great! no more error! Let's hope it is stable!
sanjeev

Post by sanjeev »

I have the exact same problem. Same versions across PS3, UMS etc. I am on mac 10.8.3. Whatever I do some of the mkv's just won't play on PS3 (subtitle or not).

Two data points which may help -

1) I used my samsing TV to render and realized it works on Samsung TV in the EXACT setup (just use Samsung TV instead of PS3). Subtitles etc all work.
2) I setup PS3 media server (version 1.81.0 ). The same mkv works BOTH on PS3 & Samsung TV.

So my current conclusion is something between UMS & PS3 that is causing this issue.

BTW anyone knows where the font cache is on OSX ?

Best,
Sanjeev
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Sanjeev, could you post a debug log from both your data points 1 and 2. I'm sure Subjunk would like to see the differences (make sure you set it to debug to trace)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
sanjeev

Post by sanjeev »

Attached three log files for each scenario.

I can see a difference in the mencoder command line given in PMS 1.81.0 (which works with PS3, mkv file under test) and UMS 3.0.x (which does not work with PS3, mkv file under test)

For Samsung TV, it does not go into transcode/remux - maybe thats why there is no error there.
Attachments
PMS ps3.log
(16.08 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
ums_dbg_samsung_tv.zip
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
ums_dbg_ps3.zip
(13.74 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
kruol

Post by kruol »

Hi,
I could watch films using AviSynth/MEncoder.
I posted some log files in order to help.

1)ums_dbg-01.zip
>Tried to watch an " .mkv" file with subtitles ".srt" file using MEncoder.
>Result: error code 800288e1 on PS3
>2 Mencoder process keep running.
>I quitted UMS in order to close mencoder´s process.

2)ums_dbg-02.zip
>Tried to watch the same " .mkv" file from item (1) with subtitles ".srt" file using AviSynth/MEncoder.
>Result: Success!!! :)
>After I stopped the film on PS3, no menconder process remains on the computer.
>I quitted UMS in order to start a new log file.

3)ums_dbg-03.zip
>Tried to watch an " .avi" file with subtitles ".srt" file using MEncoder.
>Result: error code 800288e1 on PS3
>2 Mencoder process keep running.
>I quitted UMS in order to close mencoder´s process.

4)ums_dbg-02.zip
>Tried to watch the same " .avi" file from item (3) with subtitles ".srt" file using AviSynth/MEncoder.
>Result: Success!!! :)
>After I stopped the film on PS3, no menconder process remains on the computer.
>I quitted UMS in order to start a new log file.

Using AviSynth/MEncoder I can watch the films, however I could not make the subtitles bigger, nor correct synchronization problems between subtitle and film.
ums_dbg-01to04.zip
Contains ums_dbg-01 to 04.zip files (4 zip files)
(164.52 KiB) Downloaded 585 times