MEncoder and subtitle problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Taxman

MEncoder and subtitle problem

Post by Taxman »

Hello everyone!
I come to you seeking for your expertise in order to find a solution for a problem that´s driving me up the walls.
I can no longer stream any videos with subtitles to my PS3 (neither .mkv nor mp4. Haven´t tried other formats yet).
All i get on my PS3 is: "THIS CONTENT CANNOT BE PLAYED. (800288E1)"
Whenever i get this error, PMS reads: "There is no inputstream to return for..."

Universal Media Server 2.6.3
Build: d6448cea5 (2013-05-01)
Java version: 7u17
PS3 firmware: 4.41
Windows 7 64-bit 6.1

The problem seems to be somehow related to subtitles. I am using MEncoder as default.
If i try to play a .mkv with external subs i get 800288E1. However, if i reset my computer and then i enter the transcode folder and then select the file that says MEncoder without subtitles, it plays fine. If i then try to play the same file inside the transcode folder, but this time with subs, i get 800288E1. The following is strange: if i try again to play the file without subs inside the transcode folder it no longer works. What do i get? 800288E1. At this point .mp4 and .mkv videos with or without external subs will give me 800288E1. Nothing will play, regardless it has associated external subs or not.....
Attached is the debug.log in which i tried things in the following order: (.mkv inside transcode folder with no subs, worked ok/.mp4 inside transcode folder without subs, worked ok / same .mkv inside transcode folder with subs, 800288E1/same .mkv inside transcode filder with no subs, this time 800288E1/ same .mp4 inside transcode folder without subs,800288E1)

I have tried PMS 1.81.0/1.72.0/1.71.9 and Java update 7u21/7u17/6u34 in different combinations to no avail. 800288E1 all the way
I have tried UMS 2.6.2/2.6.3 in different combinations with Java 7u21/7u17 to no avail. 800288E1 as described.
I have another computer with Windows XP, i have tried different Java versions, all with PMS 1.72.0 and videos stream just fine. UMS works fine too, except for the .mkv which will freeze. If i stop and resumen playing, the image updates but freezes again. I don´t know what else can i do....

I would be really gratefull for any help you could provide.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: whenever i start getting 800288E1, when i exit UMS the computer is very very slow, it lags a lot. I have to kill lots of MEnconder.exe proceses after exiting UMS in order to normalize things.
Attached are the debugs: the full one, and the short one that can be read inside UMS.
Attachments
simpledebug.rar
(441 Bytes) Downloaded 558 times
UMSdebug.rar
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: MEnconder and subtitle problem. UMS no longer plays anyt

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Taxman, please attach the full debug info (instructions at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556)
Taxman

Re: MEnconder and subtitle problem. UMS no longer plays anyt

Post by Taxman »

SubJunk wrote:Hi Taxman, please attach the full debug info (instructions at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556)
Sorry for uploading logs in an improper way. I thought it was the same in the end. My bad.
This time i followed the steps. Attached is the log (.mkv inside transcode folder with no subs, worked ok/.mp4 inside transcode folder without subs, worked ok / same .mkv inside transcode folder with subs, 800288E1/same .mkv inside transcode filder with no subs, this time 800288E1/ same .mp4 inside transcode folder without subs,800288E1)

Thanks for your prompt support.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Proper Log
(62.93 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: MEncoder and subtitle problem

Post by SubJunk »

Seems like a strange bug! Maybe a firewall is blocking mencoder.exe in some way
vienmnguyen

Post by vienmnguyen »

Hi, I think I may have a similar problem. Again the problem is with the subtitles. Most of my .mkv files that use subtitles won't play. It's definitely a problem with the subtitles because they all work perfectly if I select the "Disable subtitles" option.

I found a way to make it work though. I simply had to disable the "Use ASS/SSA subtitle styling" and "Fontconfig/Embedded fonts" options ("Use embedded style" seemed to still work). Am I missing out on anything by turning off these options?

It's weird because a few days ago it was working perfectly and then all of a sudden I had the problem!

I've attached an error log of it not working and of it working
Attachments
ums_dbg-working.zip
Working (Subtitles disabled)
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
ums_dbg.zip
Not working (All options enabled)
(21.69 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
vienmnguyen

Post by vienmnguyen »

After playing around a bit more I managed to get it working with both of those settings enabled using AviSynth/MEncoder, but it still doesn't work with just MEncoder. Weird.

Edit: Augh, now subtitles work completely with both the MEncoder encoders, but a new problem is that all the videos are stuttering a lot (unless I spent like 10 minutes beforehand to buffer). Again, a problem that never existed before.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Didn't checked your logs but try to delete MPlayer/MEncoder font cache.
Search here in forum.... where font cache is incompatible or corrupted, behavior is similar like you described.
Delete it and restart UMS so it can be recreated.
vienmnguyen

Post by vienmnguyen »

Is the font cache located in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\fontconfig\cache ?
I tried deleteing it and resetting everything, but same problem unfortunately.

I've decided to suck it up and just hook my damn computer straight to my tv haha. After taking a step back I've realized that this is such a first world problem.
Taxman

Post by Taxman »

SubJunk wrote:Seems like a strange bug! Maybe a firewall is blocking mencoder.exe in some way
I disabled both antivirus and firewall and results are the same. Same error.
After i exited UMS i had to kill 8 MEncoder.exe processes.
Is there any beta build that i could try?
coords

Post by coords »

I am having the same problem as stated in this thread. Only difference is I use the Mac version of UMS. Please let me know what to do if I can help solve this in any way!

Thank you by the way for a great product! I love it!!