x265/HEVC files are not transcoding/playing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AtotehZ

Re: x265/HEVC files are not transcoding/playing

Post by AtotehZ »

Thanks, that was a very fast reply. I was actually editing my response.

I'll try to find files my tv can run to cross these off the checklist:

Code: Select all

#   mpegps  (mpeg presentation stream, used in DVD Videos, VCDs, etc.)
#   mpegts  (mpeg transport stream, used in sat tv, blu rays, etc.)
#   wmv     (Windows Media Video, tag also used for asf files)
#   avi     (AVI container)
#   mp4     (ISOM/MPEG4 container, or MPEG4 codec)
#   mov     (Quicktime container, Apple)
#   flv     (Flash Video)
#   rm      (Real Media, RMVB)
#   mkv     (Matroska)
#   wav     (WAVE file)
#   wavpac  (WavPack)
#   lpcm    (Linear PCM)
#   aac     (Advanced Audio Codec)
#   ac3     (Audio Coding 3)
#   mp3     (Mpeg Audio Layer 3)
#   mpa     (Mpeg Audio)
#   ogg     (Ogg Vorbis)
#   wma     (Windows Media Audio)
#   dts     (Digital Theater Systems)
#   dtshd   (Digital Theater Systems)
#   truehd  (TrueHD)
#   eac3    (Extended AC3)
#   atrac   (Atrac)
#   flac    (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
#   ape     (Monkey's Audio)
#   ra      (Real Audio)
#   mpc     (MusePack)
#   aiff    (AIFF)
#   alac    (Apple Lossless)
#   dv      (Digital Video)
#   mpeg1   (Codec used in VCD)
#   mpeg2   (Codec used in DVD Videos and HDTV)
#   divx    (DivX Video)
#   h264    (H264)
#   mjpeg   (M-JPEG)
#   vc1     (VC-1)
... Then create a config file and post it here. It probably won't be done any time soon, I've survived for years just re-encoding files I had a problem with, but it's nice to have an alternative.

Cross-referencing with this should make checking more efficient right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... er_formats
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

A more efficient method might be cutting out a 5 min clip and then using handbrake to encode as many different codecs I can of that 5 minute clip. Then I can exclude the ones that don't work.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There is a test suite of files to use with UMS somewhere on github, but can't remember where though.

I think when the original config files were created, other codecs like h265 weren't around and the media detection wasn't there so UMS only matched the file type. They definitely need updating though

You might have better luck modifying a newer Samsung config to get a better idea of setting up supported formats.
This might be helpful setting things up, it is out of date (2013) but I think it covers up to the D series.

I wrote my own for my TV which is an F series, probably not 100% correct but might be closer to what you need with a few tweaks. If you can get it set up correctly, post your updated config and it can be included in future versions of UMS
Attachments
Samsung-F6400.conf
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
AtotehZ

Post by AtotehZ »

The first time I looked at this kinda script was today. Uploading anything to general use is not something I would be comfortable with, but if others go over it first... maybe.

I listed the model earlier, my TV is very old, very. It is one of the first versions of DLNA from 11 years ago, not a smart TV.

I think this was the test suite you were talking about:
https://github.com/stasinos/ums_testcases

Finding things is something I can do :lol: took me all of 20 secs with Google once you told me it was there.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Not the one I was thinking of, but that one may be more useful as it seems to be newer, I'll bookmark it for the future.
The one I was thinking of is 20sec clips of Wolverine and Deadpool(old one) fighting.

upload your config anyway when you get it working, we can do any needed adjustments needed to make sure it works for others.
Its just that we can't test as we don't have the same TV.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If you really want to dig in deep, there's a huge number of possible combinations of container, video and audio codecs. You don't need to test them all though, you can assume that a lot of "rare" combinations aren't supported. The more specific documentation you can find on the renderer itself, the fewer things you need to test.

Some things are more "basic" than others, and for DLNA the MPEG-2 TS container is the "base container" that all DLNA compliant devices must support. At the same time, TS can "contain" almost anything, so if a specific codec isn't supported in TS, chances are very slim that they are supported in another container.

I would look on other renderer configurations to get "an overview" of what combinations are relevant to consider, and then take it from there.

By the way, naming is a mess in this world, some things have multiple names and some mean "almost the same" while some terms are "broader versions" of others. For example, AVC is the same as H.264, HEVC is the same as H.265, MPEG-2 Video is the same as H.262, DivX, XVid and MPEG-4 Visual (mp4v) is almost the same thing, and they are also quite close to H.263 from what I remember. Likewise, MPEG Audio, MP2 and MP3 are very closely related with only minor differences, AAC has many "sub standards"/profiles (AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AACv2, Main etc) and "features", some of which has hardly been implemented anywhere and aren't really "found in the wild" at all. To make it even worse, parts of AAC is defined in MPEG-2 and parts is defined in MPEG-4. To make it perfect, the two standards disagrees about a few things as well. What I'm trying to say is: Don't try to really get to the bottom of the codec stuff unless you have some years to spare - just concern yourself with what seems relevant and common.

I don't think the testsuite you found was the one mik_s was thinking of, but those files might be helpful too. I also use samples from here: https://samples.mplayerhq.hu/