Java 'OutofMemory' error crashes - please help!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
BenjaminG

Java 'OutofMemory' error crashes - please help!

Post by BenjaminG »

Hey all, I've been a long time customer for PMS and loved it. Despite all working fine, I decided to upgrade to USM a few months back and that's when everything went bad. After about 15-20 minutes of streaming, javaw.exe crashes and then USM quits. So earlier this week I performed a clean Windows 7 x64 install, but unfortunately the same thing occurs for both the Java 7 and Java 8 versions. In between USM uninstalls, I also make sure to perform a Java uninstall too.

I really love USM and when it works, it works great. I've done as much research as I can, but can't find any real guidance on this issue, so does anyone have any advice to fix the Java crashing issue? I've tried all different variants of heap space sizes, up to 3000, but I'm tearing my hair out! I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

EDIT: I'm not able to extract a log since the program closes, but I was able to print screen the following as it was stuttering playing music just before it crashed which reveals plenty of error message: https://postimg.org/image/frn08y87j/
BenjaminG

Re: Java 'OutofMemory' error crashes - please help!

Post by BenjaminG »

Nobody? :-(
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Yes, I too get this error but it is erratic and not easy to trace. When you start a new instance of UMS the system saves the previous log. Select the log file debug option and you will notice there is a 'debug.log.prev' in the C:\ProgramData\UMS directory (assuming you are running Windows 10). If like me the log file will be several megabyte then you will need to use DropBox or equivalent to share the log file with the UMS support team.
BenjaminG

Post by BenjaminG »

Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look.

However I think I've mostly fixed the issue by ramping up the allocation of Java memory to 4GB, using the suggestion here:

http://m.wikihow.com/Increase-Java-Memory-in-Windows-7

Seems like a ridiculous amount of resourcing, but haven't had any crashes since...
kprueckl

Post by kprueckl »

I have the same problem since adding a LG webOS TV to the network (from your screenshot I can see you have such a TV too).
UMS has been running without any problems with Panasonic & Philips TVs and PS3+PS4, but since the LG TV I have the daily OOM.

From some Java OOM dumps, I can see the problem is a huge java.lang.Object[] referenced by java.util.ArrayList, referenced by net.pms.dlna.GlobalIdRepo.
Will dig deeper...
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

I also have a lg webos TV and agree my recent set of similar issues started ever since it was connected.
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

I have added my log file showing the out of memory crash relating to LG Web OS TV ..
Attachments
debug.log
(4.89 MiB) Downloaded 496 times
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

kprueckl wrote:I have the same problem since adding a LG webOS TV to the network (from your screenshot I can see you have such a TV too).
UMS has been running without any problems with Panasonic & Philips TVs and PS3+PS4, but since the LG TV I have the daily OOM.

From some Java OOM dumps, I can see the problem is a huge java.lang.Object[] referenced by java.util.ArrayList, referenced by net.pms.dlna.GlobalIdRepo.
Will dig deeper...
The current version keeps a tree of DLNAResource for each renderer. And all of these trees are duplicates. Hence it requires huge amount of memory. I worked on using cache implementation to tackle this situation. Feel free to try it out.

Binary https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6j7C ... TNKTm5ra00
Source https://github.com/atamariya/UniversalM ... r/tree/dev
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Thanks for your support. I installed the executable and it failed to register on the PS3. I had some PDF files in my directory which caused a few issues with the directory scan. That aside I have loaaded the log file for your benefit.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(77.28 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

Triplefun, can you try the new version https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6j7C ... TNKTm5ra00 ? BTW have you forced PS3 as the default renderer?