[SOLVED] Subtitle encoding issue

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Hello all!

I'm having some encoding problems in some subtitles on my Samsung 46F6400.

While playing some videos with external subtitles, I get some weird characters in replacement of Brazilian Portuguese specific characters (like ç ã é), but it's happening only in a few videos. And in these problematic ones, if I execute them with FFmpeg thru the TRANSCODE folder, the embedded subs works just fine (then I disable the TV subs).

In the attached traces, I executed two files, and I only get the problem while executing the Gotham episode. It doesn't looks like to be either mp4 or mkv related. The TV encoding is also the same always.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(55.72 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
Last edited by eniomarques on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sami32

Re: Subtitle encoding issue

Post by Sami32 »

Hello eniomarques,

I guess you missed that:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -Subtitles

You should set your settings as following:
subtitles languages priority :

Code: Select all

por,eng,fre,jpn,ger,und
Audio/subtitles languages priority :

por,off;eng,por;fre,por;*,por;*,und
You should rename your subtitle file:
Gotham.S03E14.1080p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION[ettv] - Copia.srt
to
Gotham.S03E14.1080p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION[ettv].srt
As only the subtitle having the same name as the movie is used, and this one is the portuguese one, the other SRT file have unrecognized language or is empty.

I would like see your SRT subtitle file; could you post it here, please ?
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Sami32 wrote:Hello eniomarques,

I guess you missed that:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -Subtitles

You should set your settings as following:
subtitles languages priority :

por,eng,fre,jpn,ger,und
Audio/subtitles languages priority :

por,off;eng,por;fre,por;*,por;*,und
You should rename your subtitle file:
Gotham.S03E14.1080p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION[ettv] - Copia.srt
to
Gotham.S03E14.1080p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION[ettv].srt
As only the subtitle having the same name as the movie is used, and this one is the portuguese one, the other SRT file have unrecognized language or is empty.

I would like see your SRT subtitle file; could you post it here, please ?
Thanks for the reply! I've corrected the subs priority and seems like it fixed the Gotham one. But I've tested another movie and it is still having problems. (Ben-Hur)

I'm attaching the new trace, the subtitle(added a .txt to the end to attach) and a picture showing the subtitle. I've tried to force an ANSI encoding with Subtitle Workshop, but didn't work.
Attachments
Ben-Hur.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264-[YTS.AG].srt.txt
(81.8 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
ums_dbg_new.zip
(48.98 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
IMG_20170208_151243.jpg
IMG_20170208_151243.jpg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 33601 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

I think you should change your TV subtitles encoding parameter, between UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1.
I do that myself with some subtitles, as the TV don't adapt/detect to the encoding by itself.

You can try to change your Audio/Subtitles parameters as following:

por,off;eng,por;fre,por;und,por;und,und
As a side note, you should force the Samsung F5900 renderer or adapt it, as it is much more similar to your that the one used by default.
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Sami32 wrote:I think you should change your TV subtitles encoding parameter, between UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1.
I do that myself with some subtitles, as the TV don't adapt/detect to the encoding by itself.

You can try to change your Audio/Subtitles parameters as following:

por,off;eng,por;fre,por;und,por;und,und
As a side note, you should force the Samsung F5900 renderer or adapt it, as it is much more similar to your that the one used by default.
The problem is that the TV doesn't have many encoding options, the only one that fits is the "western europe" option.

I've tried the parameter change and force the F5900 renderer, and no luck :(

A temporary solution is to keep executing such videos thru the transcode folder, but when I do that, the video ends a few seconds before it's real ending with a "check the network" warning. It's not big deal with movies as it usually does in the credits, but for the series I always have to watch the last 30-40s in the PC.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Using F5900 was only in the purpose of upgrading your native media support, meaning less transcoding so less CPU use, nothing related to your subtitles issue.

It'll be useful if you could post your trace log while playing from the ##-TRANSCODE-## folder and get the video with subtitle ends a few seconds before it's real ending with a "check the network" warning.

I suspect that you received this message at 1H52mn22s while your movie finish around 7mn20s later, is that correct ?

Sorry, i should have posted the 2 modified subtitle files to try earlier. One should work, perhaps the two.
1)
(81.23 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
2)
Ben-Hur.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264-[YTS.AG].srt.u.txt
(82.87 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Sami32 wrote:Using F5900 was only in the purpose of upgrading your native media support, meaning less transcoding so less CPU use, nothing related to your subtitles issue.

It'll be useful if you could post your trace log while playing from the ##-TRANSCODE-## folder and get the video with subtitle ends a few seconds before it's real ending with a "check the network" warning.

I suspect that you received this message at 1H52mn22s while your movie finish around 7mn20s later, is that correct ?

Sorry, i should have posted the 2 modified subtitle files to try earlier. One should work, perhaps the two.
1)
2)
Ben-Hur.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264-[YTS.AG].srt.u.txt
The subtitle #2 worked fine! What was the magic? :)
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

No "magic", only UTF-8 file encoding. It's why i told you to change the encoding on your TV.

What the others Samsung users reported:
Press Tools->Subtitle settings->Encoding when you play a video with subtitle

EDIT: Add this line in your renderer configuration profile:

RemoveTagsFromSRTSubtitles = false
And try again with your original subtitle file posted here:
download/file.php?id=3683
eniomarques

Post by eniomarques »

Sami32 wrote:No "magic", only UTF-8 file encoding. It's why i told you to change the encoding on your TV.

What the others Samsung users reported:
Press Tools->Subtitle settings->Encoding when you play a video with subtitle

EDIT: Add this line in your renderer configuration profile:

And try again with your original subtitle file posted here:
download/file.php?id=3683
Looks like it worked, all my files are playing correctly now, thank you very much for the support and patience!

About the encoding settings in the TV, there's no option for a specific coding, only region like, and I'm with the latest firmware. But again, thanks a lot!
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

You are welcome ;)

Do you mean that your issue was solved while adding this line of code into your renderer configuration file ?

P.S.
Could you please add [SOLVED], as i did as example, in front of your main report's title ?