My PS3 finally died.., cannot start what to do?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
phillipjko

My PS3 finally died.., cannot start what to do?

Post by phillipjko »

I am used to using the PS3 to stream movies and shows to my TV (connected to PS3). I do not want to buy any PS3 or PS4 or PS5 since I do not play games much anymore. What cheap alternative works wonderfully well? Suggestions. Some say Roku1-3 or even Samsung or Roku does not work so well. Suggestions?
squadjot

Re: My PS3 finally died.., cannot start what to do?

Post by squadjot »

I have not tried it, but chrome cast seems cheap
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

There are a tonne of blu-ray players out there that allow streaming like the PS3 does, and most are relatively inexpensive compared to a PS3 or 4.

Edit: As for the previous suggestion of a Chromecast, I have yet to get mine to work using UMS.
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

If you have lots of media get another cheap ps3. Nothing beats the simplicity of xmb. They are more responsive than a dedicated bluray machine and the playback quality is excellent. I bought a Sony s7200 and wished I had gone for a ps3 instead. There are lots of cheap second hand options.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

There's also "WD TV Live", pretty cool device and not too expensive.
It can do DLNA but doesent really need to, because i's basically a small computer that can access normal shares on your network.
It probably wont play 4k and h265, but i guess you could use UMS to transcode then.
It also has all services like Netflix, HBO, etc etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhotgfypPA