UMSBuilder 1.7.1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

UMSBuilder 1.7.1 is released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

UMSBuilder automatically builds the latest revision of UMS for Windows and Linux.
To use it, simply extract UMSBuilder and run the build script.

Note: This will build the program from potentially untested code, so while it should usually be OK there are no guarantees.
If you want stability, download the latest official release from our front page.

Download for Windows
Download for Linux

Changes since 1.7:
  • General:
    • Split into two versions - one each for Windows and Linux
    • Fixed the Linux script
Vallimar

Re: UMSBuilder 1.7.1 is released

Post by Vallimar »

Just would like to make a couple of comments here.
First, you should mention that the JDK included is 32bit, which means this won't work out-of-the-box for
those with a 64bit only system.
Second, the permissions are all wonky. This is probably due to the packaging all being done within windows.
Third, you may want to consider saving the downloaded binaries so they aren't being re-fetched each run.
Something like this, for instance:

Code: Select all

#Cleanup
mv code/target/bin code/
rm -rf code/target
mkdir code/target
mv code/bin code/target
Of further possible interest, I substituted jdk1.8u5 and built it with that, there were a few warnings, but I was able
to run it fine using my installed openjdk 1.7.55 after.

If you don't have access to a Linux machine or vm, I can re-package these for you under mine.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Vallimar wrote:Just would like to make a couple of comments here.
Vallimar wrote:First, you should mention that the JDK included is 32bit, which means this won't work out-of-the-box for
those with a 64bit only system.
Is 64-bit Linux unable to run 32-bit applications? I run 64-bit Windows and it has no problem compiling using 32-bit JDK.
Vallimar wrote:Second, the permissions are all wonky. This is probably due to the packaging all being done within windows.
Yeah I haven't looked at the permissions at all, does the "wonkiness" cause problems?
Vallimar wrote:Third, you may want to consider saving the downloaded binaries so they aren't being re-fetched each run.
Something like this, for instance:

Code: Select all

#Cleanup
mv code/target/bin code/
rm -rf code/target
mkdir code/target
mv code/bin code/target
You're right, we already do that with the Windows one and it was an oversight not doing it with the Linux one too.
Vallimar wrote:Of further possible interest, I substituted jdk1.8u5 and built it with that, there were a few warnings, but I was able
to run it fine using my installed openjdk 1.7.55 after.

If you don't have access to a Linux machine or vm, I can re-package these for you under mine.
Yeah it should be OK with any version after JDK 7, but it will still tell JDK 8 to compile as JDK 7 so there shouldn't be any advantage in using that, unless you change the compilation instructions in pom.xml.

I have a Linux installation on this computer I can use if I need to, thanks for the offer though :) Please let me know if the file permissions are causing problems or not
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

I tested this in 32bit ubuntu and 64bit debian and ran into no permission issues. ia32 support is fairly standard on 64bit distros, so I don't think failing to mention that the binaries are 32bit qualifies as a big omission. The main purpose here is to provide a simple way to build UMS without knowing all the ins and outs of java compiling, and on the whole I think it does the job. Of course it's just a tiny script so there's always room for improvement :).
Vallimar

Post by Vallimar »

SubJunk wrote:Is 64-bit Linux unable to run 32-bit applications? I run 64-bit Windows and it has no problem compiling using 32-bit JDK.
Yes, it can if setup to do so, that is why I said 64bit only, for people like me who eschew having 32bit binaries and libraries on their precious and pristine 64bit boxes ;)
SubJunk wrote:Yeah I haven't looked at the permissions at all, does the "wonkiness" cause problems?
Only to the spirits of pedants.
SubJunk wrote:Yeah it should be OK with any version after JDK 7, but it will still tell JDK 8 to compile as JDK 7 so there shouldn't be any advantage in using that, unless you change the compilation instructions in pom.xml.
Quite true. I've also run it after changing the pom.xml to compile under 8 and it worked under openjdk8 as well, but I didn't do much testing.