3.6.3 and FFmpeg Subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Madoka

3.6.3 and FFmpeg Subtitles

Post by Madoka »

So, if FFmpeg is the default engine, and all three FFmpeg options are checked, then FFmpeg will ignore subtitles and mux the video over, even though it shouldn't as it's a native .mp4 file. I have to uncheck "Mux with tsMuxeR" to get external subs to work.

WIth the .ass subs for Alice no Toge, the default subtitles should be a light yellow for Ep 9 and white for Ep 10, but both are bright yellow as that's what I've set in the Color for subtitles in the "Subtitles" tab. If I change the color to blue, that's what I'll get.
ums_dbg.zip
(111.37 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
subs.7z
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
valib
Developer

Re: 3.6.3 and FFmpeg Subtitles

Post by valib »

The question is if for FFmpeg we could change Default subtitles color for SSA/ASS subs or leave it as it is. Now the color is changed when fontconfig is checked. I can add an option eg. "Do not apply fonconfig for default SSA/ASS subtitles" to the FFmpeg option tab or change the behavior completely.
Chyaddo

Post by Chyaddo »

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Chyaddo on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

If ASS subs are not shown correctly this is a problem of the libass.dll which FFmpeg uses as a videofilter or maybe not correct libass implementation in FFmpeg. We can't do anything with that only ask people making libass and FFmpeg to correct it. Chyaddo can you put here subtitles which are not working I can test it?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thanks for your explanation on the issues.

Admittedly, FFmpeg changing the color isn't a huge issue as the color I select is a color I want for .srt subtitles, for example. I'm mainly comparing what FFmpeg is doing to what my PC and Mencoder is doing. Mencoder can display .ass subs correctly, but not .srt with color or position codes: I see the code as text. Ironically, FFmpeg can display those correctly. I guess one question is, if FFmpeg can apply the correct color codes to any style not named "Default", why can't it do that for the Default style as well?

Perhaps the option you mentioned is a nice solution, as I prefer light yellow default subtitles (over white which is what most subbers leave it as), and I have to edit the subtitles for Mencoder to do that. Right now, FFmpeg does that for me automatically. :D
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Madoka wrote:I guess one question is, if FFmpeg can apply the correct color codes to any style not named "Default", why can't it do that for the Default style as well?
This is done by UMS and it was my idea to implement it in that way. The idea was to force FFmpeg show only Default style like in Mencoder (for FFmpeg not implemented yet) and have the same color for ASS and SRT subs. We can discuss if this is a good idea.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thanks again for your explanation.

Mencoder does not change the color of the "Default" style in .ass subtitles from what I can tell. I have "Fontconfig" checked in the Mencoder page; does it not use it for external .ass subs?

Aegisub has white as the default color for the "Default" style, so I don't mind changing that to a color I like. Some subbers don't bother to change the "Default" style at all, even when the font is way too small for the resolution of the video. For me, if the subber went to the effort to change the color to something other than white, then I tend to respect their decision and leave/watch it as is. Some experienced subbers will name every style they use, and even delete the "Default" style, so these subs would display as intended by the subber with FFmpeg.

Whatever you guys decide, I would like to thank you, SJ, SH, and all the other developers on a wonderful, for me indispensable, program that I use on a daily basis. While I don't post here often, I look forward to every new release. In fact, I'm trying out SB58 now.

Cheers!
Madoka

Re: 3.6.3 and tsMuxeR

Post by Madoka »

Oh, BTW, the debug log above also includes an instance of FFmpeg/UMS muxing a file when there are subtitles with "Mux with tsMuxeR" checked.

The first time an Alice file is played in the log, "Mux with tsMuxer" is checked and the file is muxed over with no subtitles.