Version 5.0.0-a1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 5.0.0-a1 is released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release adds support for UPnP connections and playback, the option to use info from IMDB with filename prettifying, HTML5 video support to the web interface and more!

Note: This is an alpha release, which means there may still be more features added to 5.0.0 before the beta and final releases. Your testing is appreciated!

Download:

Windows
Linux
OS X

Note: These unstable releases are for versions of Java from 7 upwards, but we will continue to release all stable (non-alpha or beta) versions for Java 6.

Changes since 4.2.0:
  • Changes unique to 5.0.0-a1:
    • General:
      • Added support for UPnP connections and playback
      • Added the option to use info from IMDB with filename prettifying
      • Added HTML5 video support to the web interface
      • Minor tweaks to the GUI
  • Changes from the 4.x release branch:
    • General:
      • Increased speed of FFmpeg transcoding to H.264
      • Updated UMS.conf
      • Improved filename prettifying
      • Re-added "Force default renderer" option to the GUI
      • Minor GUI fixes and improvements
      • Fontconfig caches are not generated if subtitles are disabled
    • Renderers:
      • Added support for Panasonic SC-BTT Blu-ray Disc Home Theater Sound Systems
      • Improved support for Panasonic TVs
      • Improved support for Xbox One
    • Languages:
      • Updated French translation (thanks, Kirvx!)
snakebyte

Re: Version 5.0.0-a1 is released

Post by snakebyte »

Hey Subjunk,

Tremendous improvement on the browsing continniously playing of flac files on PS3 from my Mac in this version.
(It took up to about 30 seconds in the past before playing the next song and now it runs smoothely :D )
This proves that even if something is great already , it can always get better. :lol:
Thumbs up , and keep up the great work.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

Thank you.

Is there a Java 8 version for Windows?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

snakebyte wrote:Hey Subjunk,

Tremendous improvement on the browsing continniously playing of flac files on PS3 from my Mac in this version.
(It took up to about 30 seconds in the past before playing the next song and now it runs smoothely :D )
This proves that even if something is great already , it can always get better. :lol:
Thumbs up , and keep up the great work.
Thanks for the feedback, that's great! :)
Dypsis wrote:Thank you.

Is there a Java 8 version for Windows?
There's just one version per operating system, which works on Java 7, 8 and 9.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

OK.

Thanks mate.

Keep up the great work. ;)
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Just a heads up for some reason this update broke my 360's ability to browse past the first layer of directory's. I rolled back and everything working as per normal. Host machine is Win7 x64.
maracucho

Post by maracucho »

pease It can be done? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2320
Starrion

Post by Starrion »

Rocket wrote:Just a heads up for some reason this update broke my 360's ability to browse past the first layer of directory's. I rolled back and everything working as per normal. Host machine is Win7 x64.
I second this. I have 3 external drives hooked up.

1 Drobo 4 bay via USB
1 external USB HD
1 Drobo 5n connected to the network

UMS will give the PS3 DLNA media error 2006 and not display anything else. I have rebooted my whole setup. Router, PC, Drobo's, PS3, modem, tv...everything.
Now if I unplug the drobo's external drives it will work again. It's like it does not know how to deal with multiple drives anymore.
I rolled back to 4.1.3 i think it was as i had it sitting on my drive and everything worked again.
Goose7

Post by Goose7 »

What if you are stuck with using an OSX version that can't use JAVA 7 or newer? (OSX Snow Leopard for example)

Does this mean that 4.20/4.21 is going to be the end of the road for new UMS fans like myself? Having just discovered UMS, I was excited to see it evolve into a more feature filled and stable product, but this recent announcement came as a real disappointment.

Unfortunately, the only Mac we have on our network that runs 24/7 needs to stay on 10.6.8 because we are running some other software on it that is not compatible with newer versions of OSX, so this machine is essentially stuck on 10.6.8 for the duration, and really is the only viable networked machine I can use for files streamed from UMS.

10.6.8 can not download newer versions of JAVA. Including version 7. So again, your decision to no longer support JAVA versions older than 7 has basically aced us out of future UMS versions going forward, which is really disappointing news for us. :(
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We will continue to release stable versions for Java 6, just not the betas :) I could be convinced to make Java 6 betas too but it is a lot of work