UMS on Lifehacker

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

UMS on Lifehacker

Post by SubJunk »

Welcome to all of our new potential users from Lifehacker!

Today an article was written about UMS on Lifehacker, which is an incredibly popular and useful website for "tips, tricks and downloads for getting things done".
We are thrilled about this, thanks a lot to Alan Henry for writing it and for having so many great things to say about it :)

The timing is great considering that we have our stable release (4.2.0) and our preview release (5.0.0-a1) both available for download. We are hard at work on a maintenance release (4.2.1) as well as new things for 5.0.0 including significant interface improvements.

Here's the article: Universal Media Server Streams Music and Movies to Almost Any Device
Goose7

Re: UMS on Lifehacker

Post by Goose7 »

I really hope that you guys will consider continuing UMS development and support for folks that are unable to update their JAVA version to 7 or higher. (OSX Snow Leopard for example). I tried to download JAVA 7 on the iMac we had planned to use for UMS streaming to our home network, but the JAVA site refuses to serve up anything newer than the version we currently have installed (JAVA 6). The same goes for Software Update. Says everything is up to date on our 10.6.8 equipped iMac Core i5.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Goose7 wrote:I really hope that you guys will consider continuing UMS development and support for folks that are unable to update their JAVA version to 7 or higher. (OSX Snow Leopard for example). I tried to download JAVA 7 on the iMac we had planned to use for UMS streaming to our home network, but the JAVA site refuses to serve up anything newer than the version we currently have installed (JAVA 6). The same goes for Software Update. Says everything is up to date on our 10.6.8 equipped iMac Core i5.
We will continue to release stable versions for Java 6, just not the betas :)
Goose7

Post by Goose7 »

Pheww! :o

That's a relief!

Being new to your project and your nomenclature I didn't realize that Version 5.0.0-a1 was actually a BETA. :oops:

I will look forward to the next maintenance release of 4.2.*. I've got a few other issues I have identified and will be posting them in the OSX section after I post this reply.

Thanks again for the clatification on the various file versions.
Dypsis

Post by Dypsis »

COOL! ;)