How to *absolutely* not transcode

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
acki

How to *absolutely* not transcode

Post by acki »

Hi all,

I have an android tv box receiver that can handle pretty much all audio/video formats, but still can't get UMS to stop transcoding every now and then.

This is my custom renderer:

Code: Select all

SeekByTime = true
TranscodeAudio = false
TranscodeVideo = false
MuxDTSToMpeg = false
#MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 50
#TranscodedVideoFileSize = -1
StreamExtensions = asf,wmv,avi,divx,mp4,m4v,mov,3gp,3g2,mkv,ts,trp,tp,mts,m2ts,vob,mpg,mpeg,mp3,jpg,jpeg,jpe,jps,mpo
AutoExifRotate = true
Everytime time I add a video feed to WEB.conf and try to watch it, UMS starts transcoding no matter what :evil:

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Dr. Robotnik

Re: How to *absolutely* not transcode

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Same problem!
Is it possible to disable transcoding or change settings/bitrate for web streaming (for links located in WEB.conf)?
Pls help!
Dr. Robotnik

[Solved] How to *absolutely* not transcode (web streaming)

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Just found the solution!

Just add this

CustomFFmpegOptions = -c copy
to "Yourrenderer.conf" ( in my case /ums/renderers/Sony-PlayStation3.conf ) and Transcode by FFmpeg web .
Thus ffmpeg just receives stream and sends it as is without transcoding!
Now I can watch HD IPTV on my PS3!!!
Hope this will help!
Wolfgan

Re: [Solved] How to *absolutely* not transcode (web streaming)

Post by Wolfgan »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Just found the solution!

Just add this

CustomFFmpegOptions = -c copy
to "Yourrenderer.conf" ( in my case /ums/renderers/Sony-PlayStation3.conf ) and Transcode by FFmpeg web .
Thus ffmpeg just receives stream and sends it as is without transcoding!
Now I can watch HD IPTV on my PS3!!!
Hope this will help!
Thx for the tip. I'm also one of the supporters for "non video transcoding at all" movement :-) and I'll surely try it
Thanks!
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

If you will create correct renderer.conf file where you will correctly define supported files, UMS week stop transcode files.
In your case you incorrectly used some properties like TranscodeVideo or TranscodeAudio which are not definitely booleans.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Looking to avoid transcoding web.conf videostreams as well if codecs supported. What will be the proper container format for rtsp or http streams to enter into the renderer config as f: value?
TIA, Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It doesn't matter if the media is streamed with http or similar, the container is still the format of the media and has nothing to do with the transport.

Regarding using CustomFFmpegOptions to skip transcoding it's really not a good solution. I should be easy enough to make a renderer configuration that streams all, if mediainfo = false, StreamExtensions should be effective. I don't remember if * is supported, but it's worth a try (StreamExtensions = *).

In any case, the proper solution is to create a renderer profile with mediainfo = true and the proper "supported" lines. Video's will external subtitles will be still be transcoded though, since there's no way in the DLNA standard to supply external subtitle files as far as I know. Removing the subtitle files will solve that.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

External subs are supported in DLNA and also UMS supports it. If required, check defaultrenderer.conf file as every other renderer supports different ways how external subs must be sent to renderer (like some Samsung models).
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

ExSport wrote:External subs are supported in DLNA and also UMS supports it. If required, check defaultrenderer.conf file as every other renderer supports different ways how external subs must be sent to renderer (like some Samsung models).
Ok, I didn't know. How come I've read several places that videos with external subtitles will always be transcoded then? Is it simply because so few renderers support this, or is it some other reason?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Nadahar wrote:
ExSport wrote:External subs are supported in DLNA and also UMS supports it. If required, check defaultrenderer.conf file as every other renderer supports different ways how external subs must be sent to renderer (like some Samsung models).
Ok, I didn't know. How come I've read several places that videos with external subtitles will always be transcoded then? Is it simply because so few renderers support this, or is it some other reason?
Many renderers support soft subtitles, they travel as a separate stream along video and audio, the renderer takes care of presenting them onscreen or not, and may allow the user choose the font, color, format and even adjust sync timing.