Any way to install more than one version at once?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Paradox

Any way to install more than one version at once?

Post by Paradox »

Stupid question which may have been answered before (i did a quick search but did not find anything definitive).

But on windows is there a way to install more than a single version of UMS at once?

Sometimes new releases have minor niggles and it would be nice if you could go back and forth between a couple of versions to compare and log things rather than having to uninstall and reinstall differing versions each time for logging purposes.
Wolfgan

Re: Any way to install more than one version at once?

Post by Wolfgan »

Paradox wrote:Stupid question which may have been answered before (i did a quick search but did not find anything definitive).

But on windows is there a way to install more than a single version of UMS at once?

Sometimes new releases have minor niggles and it would be nice if you could go back and forth between a couple of versions to compare and log things rather than having to uninstall and reinstall differing versions each time for logging purposes.
What I usually do is download the latest compiled snapshot with dependencies from Jenkins (http://universalmediaserver-ci.hopto.or ... s%20trunk/) and then rename the jar files to keep different versions I want to test. The active one will be whatever you renamed as ums.jar (if there was any update in ffmpeg or mencoder versions you also need to manually update them to have everything in sync)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Paradox

Re: Any way to install more than one version at once?

Post by Paradox »

Wolfgan wrote: What I usually do is download the latest compiled snapshot with dependencies from Jenkins (http://universalmediaserver-ci.hopto.or ... s%20trunk/) and then rename the jar files to keep different versions I want to test. The active one will be whatever you renamed as ums.jar (if there was any update in ffmpeg or mencoder versions you also need to manually update them to have everything in sync)
Quite a creative solution there slight messing around but certainly better than full install and uninstall each time :)