Version 2.1.0 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 2.1.0 is released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

You can download it from the front page.

This release adds support for Sony Bravia EX620 TVs, improves support for 3D videos, speeds up transcoding and fixes many bugs!

Changes since 2.0.0:
  • General:
    • Enabled HiDPI for retina displays
    • Fixed a bug that prevented showing Galaxy Nexus pictures
    • Allow plugins more freedom on install
    • Logging improvements
    • Stop Windows Media Player from being detected because it has never been supported
    • Language clarifications
    • Updated Dutch Traditional translation (thanks, leroy!)
    • Added support for all 3D SBS videos
    • Fixed blocky video with some files
    • Fixed bug where the program would not start without an internet connection
    • Checks for VSFilter (AviSynth subtitles plugin) in K-Lite Codec Pack
    • Fixed crash when scanning some MP3 files with large cover images on Linux (#22)
    • Added support for external subtitles with the AviSynth/MEncoder engine
    • Stopped virtual folder names being cut off after periods
    • Fixed several rare crashes
    • Renamed the Traces tab to Logs
    • Made text and buttons on the Logs page more readable
  • Plugin Management:
    • Fixed and improved credentials management
    • Improved Plugin Management tab design
    • Buggy plugins no longer logspam
  • Renderers:
    • Added support for Sony Bravia EX620 TVs (thanks, morisato!)
  • External components:
    • Updated H2 Database Engine to 1.3.169, which:
      • Makes library scanning faster
    • Updated InterFrame to 2.2.0, which:
      • Has less artifacts in the interpolated frames
    • Rolled back MediaInfo on OS X to 0.7.58, which:
      • Fixes a bug that caused all videos to be transcoded instead of streamed
    • Updated MPlayer/MEncoder to SB43, which:
      • Runs faster
      • Crashes less
      • Leaks memory less
      • Detects framerates more accurately
      • Improves audio sync

Upgrade Notes:

For versions prior to 1.5.0:
It is recommended to delete your UMS.conf file prior to installing this version. For Windows users it is in ProgramData/UMS/.

For all versions:
It is recommended (but usually not necessary) to uninstall the older version before installing the new one.
Madoka

Re: Version 2.1.0 is released

Post by Madoka »

Thanks for 2.1.0!!

This release is fantastic. So far so good, SB43 working great.

Thanks for keeping the option to use tsMuxer and disabling the external network.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the feedback, Madoka :)
And yes, we will never remove that option unless we have a similar one to replace it with (like using another program similar to tsMuxeR, for example)
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I'm glad you won't remove that option. It works well for me.

After some more testing, SB42 maintains A/V sync better than SB43. These are all .mkv of course. One that 42 played perfectly with default setting now loses A/V sync with 43 and no combination of settings will restore it. On one that needed "Force framerate from FFmpeg" checked for 42 will now slowly lose A/V sync with 43. This is especially noticable if one uses the GoTo feature to jump to the middle of the file. 42 will keep A/V sync, but 43 will be noticably off.

I dropped SB42 into my 2.1.0 install and it works well. Except for that small karaoke subtitle bug. But that's easier to live with.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There are always regressions with some files while other (usually a greater number of) files are improved, feel free to make a thread about it so we can narrow down the cause.
Fredendon

Post by Fredendon »

thanks for the new release, unfortunately it is not working for me.
have re installed previous version and this one is working correctly
what could be the problem ?
phrozenstare

Post by phrozenstare »

Fredendon wrote:thanks for the new release, unfortunately it is not working for me.
have re installed previous version and this one is working correctly
what could be the problem ?
i had an issue where the program would not start after upgrading and also reinstalling. i was able to get it to work by deleting the UMS.conf in programdata/ums.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I think I figured out what the deal with SB43 and the A/V sync is.

I installed 2.1.0 on an older upstairs machine and decided to try the first file where no combination of settings would play correctly. It played perfectly. It was an older single core machine. So, I did a fresh reinstall on my main server which has a corei7. Playing the file with default settings again resulted in poor A/V sync. However, dropping the number of cores to 1 resulted in normal play. The other file also worked with 1 core and "Force framerate from FFmpeg" checked. So something seems to have happened to how SB43 handles using multiple cores compared to SB42 as 42 can play both with all cores enabled.

Thanks.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

We made many tests with SJ and found this bug with cores and A/V sync. Also SJ reported it to mencoder development forum. This bug is with us long time, maybe with sb43 it is more visible.
We found out that 2 is still OK, 4 is on the edge and anything more makes A/V sync dramatically visible.
In SJ post about MEncoder bugs you can find link to bugzilla where you can add your sign to ours so maybe someone will spot it :-)
Edit: Odd numbers have same behaviour as lower even numbers so 3cores had same a/v sync behavior as 2 but CPU is utilized better:-)
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Maybe interresting for someone who is using TRANSCODING with MEncoder...or for SubJunk to fix it somehow :-)
Hi all
This weekend I made some tests and found or remembered forgotten:
More cores we use in MEncoder, more A/V sync problems are generated. My test PC is quad core, video is 3:20sec 1080p MKV with AC3.
I made 2 tests for every change to see consistency of encoding time and byte comparison if files are same:
  • 2 threads used for decoding and also encoding - encoding to MPEG2 took 1:46 - files exactly same
  • 3 threads used - time 1:28 - files different!
  • 4 threads used - time 1:33 - files different!
  • 5 threads used - time 1:28 - files different!
  • 6 threads used - time 1:26 - files different!
  • 7 threads used - time 1:28 - files different!
  • 8 threads used - time 1:26 - files different!
Conclusion:
4 cores - 4 threads used is not fastest solution. Made tests 6times and always 4 was slower than 3 cores!
Using 1 or 2 threads generate exactly same file. Any other number generates different files!
MEncoder has a bug - when more cores used, bigger A/V sync issues are visible. So it means maxing treads is not a good way!
In MEncoder we can define treads separately for decoder and encoder. Some tests:
  • 8 decoder threads and 2 encoder threads - encoding time 1:40 - files exactly same
  • 2 decoder threads and 8 encoder threads - encoding time 1:35 - files different!
When talking about the A/V sync issues:
  • 16 decoder threads and 16 encoder threads - A/V sync totally out
  • 4 decoder threads and 16 encoder threads - A/V sync OK
  • 16 decoder threads and 4 encoder threads - A/V sync totally out
Conclusion:
Changing threads for encoder generates different files but A/V sync is OK!
Changing threads for decoder generates same files but A/V sync is out!
From those tests I recommend to use max 4 threads for decoder and any number for encoder(depending on CPU used).
Problem is that we can't set threads for decoder and encoder differently but you have to count with this behavior/bug ;)
I have to say that FFMPEG is consistent and changing cores generates A/V synced output with same binary data (it differ between used cores but are same between tests with same thread number)

Another bug is with MPEG-TS output:
I tried to generate TS file instead of PS file (TranscodeVideo=MPEGPSAC3/MPEGTSAC3):
TS uses MEncoder parameters which generates unusable output. FFMPEG generates MPEG_PS only.
MPEG-TS:

Code: Select all

mencoder.exe -ss 100 K:\_Test\sample2.mkv\sample5.mkv -msglevel statusline=2 -oac copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=mpegts -mpegopts format=mpeg2:muxrate=500000:vbuf_size=1194:abuf_size=64 -ovc lavc -channels 6 -lavdopts debug=0:threads=4 -lavcopts autoaspect=1:vcodec=mpeg2video:acodec=ac3:abitrate=576:threads=4:keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=3:vqmax=5:vrc_maxrate=44000:vrc_buf_size=7000 -aid 0 -subdelay 20000 -ofps 24000/1001 -lavdopts fast -endpos 200 -o TS.mpg
MPEG-PS:

Code: Select all

mencoder.exe -ss 100 K:\_Test\sample2.mkv\sample5.mkv -msglevel statusline=2 -oac copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:muxrate=500000:vbuf_size=1194:abuf_size=64 -ovc lavc -channels 6 -lavdopts debug=0:threads=4 -lavcopts autoaspect=1:vcodec=mpeg2video:acodec=ac3:abitrate=576:threads=4:keyint=5:vqscale=1:vqmin=3:vqmax=5:vrc_maxrate=44000:vrc_buf_size=7000 -aid 0 -subdelay 20000 -ofps 24000/1001 -lavdopts fast -endpos 200 -o PS.mpg
Until FFMPEG will be usable with subtitles we are stick with buggy MEncoder. :(
I posted it here so more people can count with these bugs. Hope it helps.
ExSport[/size]