Version 5.3.0 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
Paradox

Re: Version 5.3.0 is released

Post by Paradox »

Possible work around for anyone having trouble getting it to auto startup with windows 10...
http://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to- ... ndows-8.1/

Ive personally not had the issue, but do not use win10.
Panny

Post by Panny »

Tried that as well as adding a registry key in regedit. What is strange is that both the task manager and CCleaner are showing it as auto start and enabled, and yet it just won't.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Something must be wrong with your win 10 install IMO then as that prior link should allow any app to auto start. Its effectively the same as double clicking an icon or selecting something from the start/windows menu.

Are you sure it is not running but is minimized to the task bar (bottom right icons) and or hidden? Right click the task bar and ensure UMS is set to always show.

Are you also sure windows firewall ha permission to run it?
Panny

Post by Panny »

I doubt it is a Windows issue as every other program in the auto-start works, even after being updated. I have noticed this issue twice with UMS, previously when I updated UMS from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3 on Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and now when I updated UMS from 5.2.3 to 5.3.0 on a Windows 10 Enterprise system.

UMS 5.2.3 that didn't auto-start on my old Windows 8.1 did so on a clean install of Windows 10. Now after the upgrade it won't.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Have you tried installing it as admin on windows 10 ? (right click the setup file)

try also to re-install Java 8 as admin (Same).

you can find a java8 version of ums on the downloads at sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimedi ... rce=navbar

click official then windows and find the latest java8, i'm curious if it will solve the problem.

An uninstall of ums and java should be done before hand, reboot then reinstall java8 as admin.

try in your current user account, if that fails try with admin privs http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969 ... -10-a.html (option 1)

Report back plz
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
Panny

Post by Panny »

Nope, still not working. Java and UMS installation files are already marked with the install as admin, but uninstalled, rebooted and installed as admin again. Tried with current user account (administrator) and with elevated admin privileges.

No logical reason why it shouldn't be working. Really confusing me..... :?:
HT1

Post by HT1 »

but it starts when you start it manually ?

how about adding the ums.bat to your start folder ?
see here http://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to- ... ndows-8.1/

it'll start java first and load ums then.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
bevster

Post by bevster »

I have to just keep restarting my computer to get it to start on win10, 2-4 restarts and it will start.. If it does not start with windows I cannot even run it manually ( nothing happens ).. I have uninstalled and reinstalled like the previous few posts have been discussing.. This all started for me when I installed win10
HT1

Post by HT1 »

bevster wrote:I have to just keep restarting my computer to get it to start on win10, 2-4 restarts and it will start.. If it does not start with windows I cannot even run it manually ( nothing happens ).. I have uninstalled and reinstalled like the previous few posts have been discussing.. This all started for me when I installed win10
did you do an in-place upgrade or did you format your hard drive and install win10 fresh?

weird hard-to-explain sh*t happens when you do in-place upgrades.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Panny

Post by Panny »

HT1 wrote:but it starts when you start it manually ?

how about adding the ums.bat to your start folder ?
see here http://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to- ... ndows-8.1/

it'll start java first and load ums then.
It works with the ums.bat file, thanks. I deleted the 'pause' from it, otherwise you get the 'press any key to continue' command window. Without the 'pause' I get the briefest glimpse of the command window.

Is there any way to incorporate the instruction from the ums.bat file into the UMS shortcut in the startup folder (for future releases)?