Server show up time

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Solidman

Server show up time

Post by Solidman »

Hi,

I have a Panasonic TX-P50VT30. When I put the TV into the mode to see the DLNA server. The UMS server takes a while to show up on the list.
This only seems to happen with UMS's DLNA. If I try the DLNA server that I have on my NAS's (Asustor + Synology) they both show up right away.

If there a way to fix this? Is there a way to lower the time it takes for UMS to announce itself?
Nadahar

Re: Server show up time

Post by Nadahar »

On my renderers UMS shows up immediately, so this must be due to some communication problems between UMS and the TV.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Not really as I am spotting same problems from time to time. Renderer PS3, PanTV, Android DLNA/UPnP Renderers, different PCs, different networks.
Sometimes visibility is instant but other times it takes minutes, depending how long UMS is started as after start UMS sends announcements in few secs but later delay raises up to 5? minutes or so.
Same is visible whatever version of UMS is used but e.g. using Serviio, renderer spot it immediately.
As I said in past, I think there is some flaws in networking code already from PMS times.
Also I have prepared testcase which I want to post here that using different PCs, different renderers, UMS somehow freezes in network communication from time to time, so some renderers timeouts, others will survive. I am now testing it from Android as I am not at home where I spotted it on PS3 and PanTV but reproduced it also on Android.
I tested few sw renderers on Android and I see many "renderer forced disconnections" in UMS logs when I played picture slideshow.
It seems I found one which doesn't generate it but other 90% does it that UMS reports network problems with renderer so renderer sometimes "pauses" for some secs/minutes until it resumes again. In most cases pictures are shown without any visible problem but log is full of disconnections so I expect there is some "bug" which can in other cases affect any other video/audio/pics streaming to renderer.
I will make new post about it later as I don't have much time right now to sumarize the findings and how to reproduce it 8-)
EDIT: Btw. UMS log shows nothing for e.g. 2mins but slideshow was with 5sec delay so renderer sent some data without any response it seems...This I spotted not so frequently but will try to reproduce it...
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

There are more posts about the same problem but adding one I spotted right now:
viewtopic.php?p=20327#p20327
Solidman

Post by Solidman »

It is a shame they will not acknowledge this issue.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

It is beceuse it is really hard to reproduce and also it differ from environment used so for someone this problem is totally hidden but for other one with e.g. more complex network it can be visibe frequently 8-)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Solidman wrote:It is a shame they will not acknowledge this issue.
Who are "they"? This is more about being able to figure out what goes wrong. In the end, we need to be able to either reproduce the issue or understand exactly what is happening to be able to do something about it.