3D ass subtitles not working due to filename

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SuperDre

3D ass subtitles not working due to filename

Post by SuperDre »

I just found out that it's very hard to get 3D subtitles working (3D.ass) and it all seems to be due to the filename:
for instance a filename like TheFour2(2013)3D-halfOU.mkv and it's corresponding .ass file works, but a filename like Jurassic.Park.3D.1993.1080p.BluRay.Half-OU.DTS.x264-HDMaNiAcS.mkv with it's corresponding .ass file doesn't work (I've tried the same .ass subtitles with both, so it definitly wasn't the subtitles itself, it's purely due to the filename).. Same goes for SBS movies..
How can this happen? Why is one filename working and the other isn't, and the problem is, the one that doesn't work is a more used style as the one that does work...
Why can't it just always show the .ass file as it has the dual location and 3D position in it, so I don't understand what UMS needs to do.. Both mencoder and ffmepg have the same problem..

I could understand if it was with srt and it needing a filename with a specific format to know that it needs to render the subtitles twice on a specific position and depth, but a .ass file already has that information..
SuperDre

Re: 3D ass subtitles not working due to filename

Post by SuperDre »

Only now I see it on the FAQ, but it doesn't make sense as the names shown don't correspond to the version I have which did work..
And it only makes sense if it was refering to .srt (which are 2d subtitles) and doesn't make sense why .ass files wouldn't work..

Why not at least also check the most popular naming conventions:
if it has 3D and HOU HSBS, HalfOU, HalfSBS in it's name (or any version with a - like H-SBS/H-OU) or just check if the file has .3D.ass
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Sigh... it really is just fubar...
the name tagging only seems to work if you want the srt used, but even then (with H-SBS) is seems to use the standard fontsize as if it's a fullscreen image instead of a Half size.
So if the tag 3DSBSLF and the resolution is 1920x1080 (or 1920xxxx) it should at least half the size of the font automatically..
Also it seems to use a position I can't understand (almost at the middle of the image), but I guess it's got something to do with the fontsize/positioning..

But I really can't understand why the .ass version doesn't work at all, it doesn't show anything..

hmm, after long testing I found out the .ass files only work if it has the following tags in the name:
Half OU versions: '3D-HalfOU' or '3D.HalfOU'
Half SBS versions: '3D-HalfSBS' or '3D.HalfSBS'
(it won't work if you have 'Half-SBS' or 'Half-OU')

I hope it helps other people, but I do hope they fix this annoying problem so you don't have to rename your files.. (at least make it detect if it has the keywords '3D' and ('HSBS' or 'HOU' or ('Half' and ('SBS' or 'OU')) in the name)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Half a year later, still not fixed......
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't understand a lot of what you're writing, doesn't have a 3D capable renderer and don't know anything about the 3d formats. I suspect some or all of these things apply to other people as well, and that makes it hard to reply.

If you have found a bug or have a suggested fix, please post it on our issue tracker. Try to give a precise description of the problem in the issue, so that anyone can understand what changes you are proposing.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I added an issue, which (for me at least) describes the problem.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, great.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Can you download the last build http://universalmediaserver-ci.hopto.or ... APSHOT.exe and try it?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Just tested the snapshot version in regard to 3d subtitles, and it seems to work now, tested 4 movies without changing their original names..
Thanx ;)