Comparison of Media Servers

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There are a lot of media servers out there so it's natural to want to see their features compared to eachother.
We have made a page that does that with 3 of them; UMS, PMS and Serviio.
We will add more features and programs to the list when we have had more time to test them, and we welcome contributions to this information.

ExSport

Re: Comparison of Media Servers

Post by ExSport »

Nice :-)
How we can read "Renderer search support"?
How it works?
Thx
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I haven't used it, but SharkHunter wrote that code so he will know :)
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes search is my fault :). I added it way back in SHB since I found it a bit "hard" (a big understatement) to search over DLNA. It turns out that DLNA supports serach as a method (just like browse) so the only difference is that you pas a string along. Now this is of course very useful when using things like GrooveShark (or Furk/Youtube etc). So UMS supports search. The problem is that no renders does :(. Except those written by yours truely :)
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Ok, thanks for clarification :-)
This "Renderer search support" evoke in me also similar one - "Renderer features detection support" or how to say it.
Every renderer send the SOAP message with the supported formats. Is it possible to use it somehow? If MediaInfo=true, we can add supported formats by hand but if it is disabled or if someone doesn't understand how to create renderer.conf file, it should be good feature. Is it worth it to make it possible?
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

ExSport wrote:Ok, thanks for clarification :-)
This "Renderer search support" evoke in me also similar one - "Renderer features detection support" or how to say it.
Every renderer send the SOAP message with the supported formats. Is it possible to use it somehow? If MediaInfo=true, we can add supported formats by hand but if it is disabled or if someone doesn't understand how to create renderer.conf file, it should be good feature. Is it worth it to make it possible?
Yes it is. I've done it in my dbg render. The main issue is that there is always some spcial tweaks needed even if the render says he support format XYZ. But as a bas it should work...
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

So it is already in UMS code or only in some branch? I am little dumb that I need to comment every answer :-)
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

No that is not in any UMS branch. Thats more of an experiment I did during the SharkMote hack. So I know what/how do use the format string (or it's mime types) but it is info that is hard to use since there are so many tweaks you can do to all videos (mostly videos has this issue, audio is more standard)...

All DLNA media servers uses some sort of conf files mostly since all renders don't send "correct" info in that string.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

Nice comparison, although i find it a bit cheap to only sum up the things that UMS supports & the other not, and not the other way around.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

@Berzerk: Yep it's certainly not an unbiased comparison :)