Only allow access to my PS3?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Scrotty

Only allow access to my PS3?

Post by Scrotty »

So a question I had about this software was about the fact that other devices can connect to my PC through UMS. I only want my PS3 allowed to access my files, how do I restrict access?
Nadahar

Re: Only allow access to my PS3?

Post by Nadahar »

You can both blacklist and whitelist IP addresses. The DLNA spesification doesn't have any support for authentication so there's not much more that can be done.

Whitelisting is easy in UMS, just add the IP address(es) you wish to allow access in the "Use an IP filter" field. You need to configure your network so that the PS3 has a fixed IP address. Entering the IP manually is one possibility, reserving the IP against the PS3s MAC address in the DHCP server is another (and probably better) way. Another obvious way is running a firewall on the computer hosting UMS and controlling access that way.

I think there's an advanced way too, but I'm not sure of the details of this. I think you could create a device configuration tied to the PS3's UUID (which would guarantee that the profile would only apply to that individual PS3), and create a separate configuration for that device. That configuration could be the only one containing the shared folders you wouldn't want to share and in that way restrict access, but as stated above I don't know the detail of how you would make such a configuration.
Scrotty

Post by Scrotty »

Thank you, Nadahar! I wound up giving my PS3 a static IP, that's what you meant by "fixed ip" right? Looks like it worked.

*Edit: By the way...while accessing UMS on my PS3 I see a Recently Played and Web folder there aside from everything else? What are those?*
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

Scrotty wrote:*Edit: By the way...while accessing UMS on my PS3 I see a Recently Played and Web folder there aside from everything else? What are those?*
UMS can monitor what videos you've watched on your computer. Any videos you've watched using UMS will show up in that folder. It works in the same was as the "resume video" option works. It's only a virtual folder though, it does not actually move the files it displays. The Web folder is used to play videos on the web. Its very limited in the types of sites it can get videos from. If you're interested in watching videos from the web Jumpy is a good plugin for UMS. Just search for it under the plugins section of the forums.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Scrotty wrote:Thank you, Nadahar! I wound up giving my PS3 a static IP, that's what you meant by "fixed ip" right? Looks like it worked.
That's one way to make sure that the IP address doesn't change yes.
Scrotty wrote:*Edit: By the way...while accessing UMS on my PS3 I see a Recently Played and Web folder there aside from everything else? What are those?*
Supermanfan77 explained this well, I'd just like to emphasis that they are "virtual" folders. There are a lot of virtual folders in UMS. That is folders that are shown when you browse from your renderer, but that aren't actually folders in your file system. UMS uses this to achieve all kind of things, like showing you recently played files. Most if not all virtual folders can be enabled/disabled from UMS' configuration.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Scrotty wrote:So a question I had about this software was about the fact that other devices can connect to my PC through UMS. I only want my PS3 allowed to access my files, how do I restrict access?
There's also this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2266
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )