Problem with UMS 6.0.0 and VLC on AppleTV

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
myleolo

Problem with UMS 6.0.0 and VLC on AppleTV

Post by myleolo »

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is not the proper place to report this problem.

I'm running UMS 6.0.0 on a headless linux machine and it works perfectly with the PS3.

We recently got a new AppleTV and installed the VLC app. When I try to connect to the UMS "share" I got a blank screen.

The logs show this line:

Code: Select all

INFO  2016-02-13 14:40:50.622 [New I/O worker #1] Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers:User-Agent: VLC-TV/102.1 CFNetwork/758.2.8 Darwin/15.0.0
I'm not UMS expert, maybe tweaking the Apple-iDevice-* files it should be easy to fix but I don't have the knowledge to do it.
I would love any help that you can provice.

I attached the full TRACE logs of my UMS for help.

thanks!!
Attachments
debug.log.zip
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
myleolo

Re: Problem with UMS 6.0.0 and VLC on AppleTV

Post by myleolo »

No luck with this one? am I the only one with this problem?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I don't use VLC on Apple TV, but you may try to create an specific profile for you using http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1 using any of the existing renderer templates (as in https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... /renderers)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Matt

Post by Matt »

Looks like they took "Darwin" out of the config I updated last year.

I'd suggest editing Apple-iDevice-VLC.conf, either make a copy first (if you don't the next UMS update may overwrite your changes) or just edit the line for UserAgentSearch to the following:

UserAgentSearch = VLC%20for%20iOS/\d{3}|(VLC-TV)
edited for clarity and fixed regular expression
Last edited by Matt on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you want UMS to transcode
Apple-iDevice-VLC.conf

UserAgentSearch = VLC%20for%20iOS/\d{3}|(VLC-TV)
or if you want to skip transcoding
Apple-iDevice.conf

UserAgentSearch = AppleCoreMedia|nPlayer|Twonky|8player|yxplayer2|MPlayer |NSPlayer/4|AirAV|AcePlayer|Skifta|AirVideoFree|(VLC-TV)
That VLC app is really slow at building/retrieving the director structure and you might have to tap the center of the remote to force it? Try the Infuse app instead.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi guys, support for VLC on Apple TV will be added in the next version of UMS, please feel free to improve that profile. Their changelog says they added support for AC-3 audio but when I tested that didn't work so we still need to transcode that. We should monitor the updates in case they really fix it since that's a popular audio codec causing a lot of transcoding.