UMS not being detected anymore

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
bgula

UMS not being detected anymore

Post by bgula »

I've been using UMS 5.5.0 for the last 6 months and up until the other day it's been working flawlessly. I noticed yesterday that my 2 WD media players are no longer detecting UMS under media servers. I upgraded to version 6.4.0 in case that might have been the problem, but it didn't fix anything. When I access UMS, it does detect both media players. I'm not sure what has changed that would cause this problem. When I first installed UMS, I just had to indicated what folders I wanted to give access on my computer and everything was working. I don't think I had to do anything else. Anyone have any suggestions as to why my media players aren't detecting UMS anymore?
Using Windows 7.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS not being detected anymore

Post by SubJunk »

Did you update Java recently?
bgula

Post by bgula »

If I remember correctly, just the other day. I'll try a system restore and post the results.

Edit: Checked my system and I have Java 8 Update 73 installed - says since February. When I think about it, I believe it was Flash that I updated a few days ago, not Java. Should I install the Java 8 version of UMS as I have been using the Java 7 version? Or will this make no difference?
I might try a system restore to a few days ago anyway to see if it makes any difference.
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

bgula wrote:If I remember correctly, just the other day. I'll try a system restore and post the results.

Edit: Checked my system and I have Java 8 Update 73 installed - says since February. When I think about it, I believe it was Flash that I updated a few days ago, not Java. Should I install the Java 8 version of UMS as I have been using the Java 7 version? Or will this make no difference?
I might try a system restore to a few days ago anyway to see if it makes any difference.
I would try the Java 8 version of UMS first before a system restore.
bgula

Post by bgula »

I did the system restore to a few days ago and now everything is working again. Only major thing that happened in the last few days was a massive Windows update. Guess I'll have to install the updates again only 1 at a time to see if one of them messed UMS up. If not, then I have no idea what screwed it up. If I find out anything I will post my results in case anyone else is having the same problem.
asalvado

Post by asalvado »

Hi all
I'm experiencing same problem.... My UMS is not seen anymore by any device. Most of all it is not seen by my Samsung SmartTV.
I tried updating it to 6.4 but same issue. I did not change any UMS setting recently, I just noticed few days ago a major windows update (win 10). Does it might affect UMS?
I checked Windows Firewall too, added UMS in the list.
Any suggestion?
Thx a lot
a.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

asalvado wrote: I checked Windows Firewall too, added UMS in the list.
Not the UMS but Java must be enabled in the firewall.
asalvado

Post by asalvado »

valib wrote:
asalvado wrote: I checked Windows Firewall too, added UMS in the list.
Not the UMS but Java must be enabled in the firewall.
it is :cry:
bgula

Post by bgula »

asalvado wrote:Hi all
I'm experiencing same problem.... My UMS is not seen anymore by any device. Most of all it is not seen by my Samsung SmartTV.
I tried updating it to 6.4 but same issue. I did not change any UMS setting recently, I just noticed few days ago a major windows update (win 10). Does it might affect UMS?
I checked Windows Firewall too, added UMS in the list.
Any suggestion?
Thx a lot
a.
Try what I did and do a system restore. I'll bet it will work again for you. Once again, I've got a request for a windows update of 137 mb, so I'll probably go thru that list 1 at a time (when I have the time) and see if one of those updates messes up UMS. If I find out anything I will post it. If anyone else knows or finds out anything, please also post it.
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Sounds like a firewall issue. Make sure the required ports are enabled. You don't need to set any application rules. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8461