[PS4 Pro] Videos starting at the end; pauzing causes "crashes"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
erick diangilis

Re: [PS4 Pro] Videos starting at the end; pauzing causes "crashes"

Post by erick diangilis »

hi i agree with you but i have a ps4 and wonder why people have so many issues with ums i watch vídeos with or without transcoding and listen to my musics without any issues my guess is the diffrent types of configurations and settings with tons of diffrent types of modem and routers that make things messy. the only ums versions that iv'e had problems is with snapshots but i understand that their not complete and are unstable.

the ps4 hdcp is enabled, my ip is set to dynnamic but everytime that i've checked the ps4 is always using the same ip adress, i set the mtu manually i got from the internet provider and a few other options like dns i set manually too. the ums is in the firewall exception on windows and the console is conected wired on my tp link modem wifi router 8961. im using java 8 ea 162b01 and java 10 ea 30 both ins 64bits.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

do you have any issues like i have (see my thread) on your ps4 when transcoding? i don't have problems watching most stuff as if it is a supported format it streams without any problem but it is those formats that are not supported like HEVC MKV's that require transcoding or resuming files that causes issues for me.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Nadahar wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 am Could it be any antivirus software or some other software you have running that puts their noses where they don't belong, making the process too slow?
Hmm, I don't think so. Been using ESET even longer than I have UMS and it has never caused any issues before. I have not changed anything in its settings either in a good while. I could try looking into its firewall settings just to be sure, in case a recent update has tampered with it without my knowledge, but I sincerely doubt it is the culprit. After all, any file that I stream without transcoding works just fine.
You could try to disable IPv6 on your local network to see if that makes a difference, as far as I can remember we've had issues with that in the past.There has also been some discussion about that the PS4 might change it's IP address quite frequently if configured to use DHCP, which might cause problems.
Thanks, will take a look at these possible causes next time I stream something.
I always feel bad when I have to resort to such "generic" suggestions, but I don't have any concrete idea.
Don't be. If anything I should be the one apologizing for taking up your time with what seems to be a fairly niche issue :p I'm very grateful for any assistance at all.
mik_s wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 am do you have any issues like i have (see my thread) on your ps4 when transcoding? i don't have problems watching most stuff as if it is a supported format it streams without any problem but it is those formats that are not supported like HEVC MKV's that require transcoding or resuming files that causes issues for me.
Hi there! Taking a quick glance at your thread, I don't think I can say I do. When I transcode, there is an initial wind-up so to speak, but it lasts 5 seconds at most and resuming is no issue at all, barring my own crashing problem.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think there's any firewall issues - then it wouldn't work at all. I was thinking of any kind of "real time scanning" being performed by an antivirus or similar software that somehow "breaks" the transcoding. It's a pretty wild guess though.

What you could also try is to replace the FFmpeg version used, you will find the executable in the UMS installation folder under "win32" I think. It's "ffmpeg64.exe", you can replace it with a version you download. I would keep the "original" though, because we use an old version because newer versions cause subtitle issues for some users. It seems like there is something in the transcoding process itself that fails, and that's basically out of UMS' scope. UMS simply figures out what parameters to use and starts the transcoding.

If you search the log file for ffmpeg64.exe you can find the full command line used, so that you can replicate it if you want to test it manually. You will have to replace the last parameter (which is a pipe) with a file name though, to which it will be transcoded. What could be of interest if you are willing to try to research it a bit, is to do a "manual" transcode of one of the affected files and then watch the transcode speed as it transcodes. If it's anywhere close to 1x small variations could result in real-time transcoding breaking/failing. Normally it should be much higher though, so that a buffer underrun isn't a problem - but that ultimately depends on the power in your computer, the disk speed and how much else is happening at the same time. If you do other CPU or disk intensive tasks as the computer while transcoding, that could cause the transcoding speed to be reduced to a level where it can't keep up.

These are still, as you can see, pretty "far fetched" measures, but it might shed some more light on the issue.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

I've never had any kind of active scanning active on my AV programs, but I suppose it's possible it managed to slip by unnoticed during one of the yearly updates. Will experiment with some of the settings just to see what it'll do next time I have the opportunity.

Doing some basic testing with some quick example transcoding lines plucked from the ffmpeg wiki, the speed hovers around 4.5x. When using the settings used by UMS it shoots up to 15x. So I don't think that's the issue, fortunately.

Have downloaded the most recent stable version of ffmpeg and added it to the UMS installation. Will let you know how that turns out once I've had the chance to watch something.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hello Henduluin,

From what i see into your log, your issue seem related to DLNA headers. PS4 certainly make a recent firmware update that included some DLNA changes. That's said, as we are not DLNA standard compliant and if PS4 become, that kind of issue should happen ;)
But when I do, 3 out of 4 videos start near the end and I have to manually rewind the video.
Please, could you post an other log with the video that work fine for you ? That should help. Thanks.
erick diangilis

Post by erick diangilis »

i've had issues like this on older versions of the ums but not on the newer ones like 6.74 everything that i have here Works even in 4k. i have mp4 files, matroska and MPEG ts files but all of them Works without transcoding, but i turn on on the ums a few options that comes disabled like avi synth and vlc and activate gpu acceleration and the sound i choose dts only cause my hometheater.
Henduluin

Post by Henduluin »

Sami32 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am
But when I do, 3 out of 4 videos start near the end and I have to manually rewind the video.
Please, could you post an other log with the video that work fine for you ? That should help. Thanks.
I'd love to, but I haven't had any videos work without problems as of late :p Unless you'd like a log of a video that's not being transcoded, but I'm not entirely sure how useful that'd be.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Henduluin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 am
Hi there! Taking a quick glance at your thread, I don't think I can say I do. When I transcode, there is an initial wind-up so to speak, but it lasts 5 seconds at most and resuming is no issue at all, barring my own crashing problem.
interesting. must be differences between Slim and Pro, somehow the pro can handle transcoding better but then causes the problems you are having. i have heard sony recently updated the media player to V3.50, is that any different. i can't update yet as mine is not online.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@Henduluin
I'd love to, but I haven't had any videos work without problems as of late :p Unless you'd like a log of a video that's not being transcoded, but I'm not entirely sure how useful that'd be.
Only the log with the media that you said don't begin at the end.