Landing folder

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
boss

Re: Landing folder

Post by boss »

It works for long paths for me.
I can have a path like:
/home/media_mnt/videos/TV series/combat/season 1

and it goes straight to that folder showing all the videos in it.

One more thing you could try which has sorted out issues in the past.

Delete "data" folder and "database" folder and let UMS rebuild them which it will do automatically.

In particular, if you have had UMS V7 on your system and then reverted back to V6 you should do this.
Last edited by boss on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boss

Post by boss »

@Nadahar
@valib

I think I know what the OP means.

He can browse to folders with long files names. That is not his problem.
His problem is this:
In ums.conf if he has: "folders = \\192.168.1.50\tv" that shows up as "tv" in his UMS menu, when he selects it, it shows the contents of "\\192.168.1.50\tv"
In ums.conf if he has: "folders = \\192.168.1.50\tv\new stuff" that shows up as "new stuff" in his UMS menu, when he selects it, it shows the contents of "\\192.168.1.50\tv"
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Nadahar, the problem is very simple:

say in ums -> navigation/share settings, i type the full path of where my files are, like this (look at the bottom of the screenshot)
umsnav.png
umsnav.png (51.87 KiB) Viewed 9869 times
Why doesn't ums show the content of the last folder in the path , this one is called "stuff_watch" ? The tv or the file explorer or the web interface only shows the folder "TV" where stuff_watch is.

it only show the root of the share. it should show the content of the folder. i think i've been pretty clear.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The problem is that when I'm testing this, it doesn't behave the way you describe. I've replicated your setup as exactly as I can, even using IP address for the share instead of computer name, and my result looks like this:

Sharing_Stuff.png
Sharing_Stuff.png (96.55 KiB) Viewed 9863 times
This is exactly what I'd expect, and it's still unclear to me if UMS has a different behaviour for you or if you simply don't like having to click on "stuff_watch" first.

By the way, when I said screenshots I meant of you renderer/TV so we could see what was wrong, not the UMS GUI.
boss

Post by boss »

I'm sure the OP's problem is not that he has to click "stuff_watch" first.
It seems to me that his problem is that it shows him "tv" and then he has to click on "tv" and then "stuff_watch" when it should initially show "stuff watch" and that is the only one he should have to click on.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@boss If that's the case there must be some weird bug. Unfortunately that's not the behaviour I get when I try to replicate the setup. I can't really understand how that could happen though, so if that's the case I'd like him to put some media files in the TV folder and confirm that he can actually see/play them.
boss

Post by boss »

@Nadahar
Yes it is strange behaviour. I've used UMS going back to version 5 and never had that problem even with many level depths of folders.
But... I do have it on a Linux server and manually put the entries in ums.conf.

Maybe the OP could post a copy of his ums.conf file and do a "TRACE" debug and post.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Nadahar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm The problem is that when I'm testing this, it doesn't behave the way you describe. I've replicated your setup as exactly as I can, even using IP address for the share instead of computer name, and my result looks like this:

This is exactly what I'd expect, and it's still unclear to me if UMS has a different behaviour for you or if you simply don't like having to click on "stuff_watch" first.

By the way, when I said screenshots I meant of you renderer/TV so we could see what was wrong, not the UMS GUI.
try it on Windows with something else than vlc ?

Scroll up and you'll see my web interface and what i see when i launch it. it's always been like that. Nothing new for me here.

it can't be a coincidence that all 3 interfaces available on my end do this.

There's nothing new about things working differently on different computers & setups.
Have you tested your software on Windows before releasing it ? This happens on stock windows. nothing fancy.
You should get a virtual Windows going and see what happens. Include it when testing things.
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
boss

Post by boss »

@HT1

Perhaps you could post a copy of your debug file (in TRACE mode) whilst UMS is not doing as expected for you.
Also a copy of your ums.conf file would be handy as well.

Details of how to do a TRACE debug are at the top of this page in "Problem Reporting Guidelines".
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I have tried it with Windows, I'm running it on Windows 7. Windows 10 is nothing but Windows 7 with a uglier UI and a lot more spying on you and trying to annoy you into using Microsoft's services and shop. The internal version numbers are more truthful, Vista is 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1, Windows 8 is 6.2 Windows 8.1 is 6.3 and Windows 10 was 6.4. They've since let the marketing department mess with the internal versions as well and change it to 10, but it's bullshit. It's very easy to see that they are 99% the same, and that all that's different with 8 and 10 is that microsoft is trying to use their market position on desktop OS'es to get people to use their mobile platform as well. The terrible new interface is simply so that the desktop UI shouldn't be any better than that of the mobile devices. I also have Windows 10 VMs, but there is nothing that is even slightly related to this "issue" that differs between Windows 7 and 10.

I only used VLC to make the tree structure visible on the screenshot. I have used Kodi as well, but the point is that which renderer you use isn't relevant. UMS will generate a "resource tree", and even though the sorting and way it is presented will vary among renderers, the tree it self does not.

Of course we test it on Windows - in fact, testing on the other platforms is what is lacking. All the developers use Windows, so merely suggesting that this is somehow negligence from us is quite arrogant.

It seems to me that the problem isn't a problem at all. This is what I've suspected all along, you simply don't understand the structure. My web interface shows the exact same thing as yours, and so does my VLC, Kodi and any other renderer. What you see isn't the "tv" folder, it's the UMS root folder. Try putting a media file in the "tv" folder and you will see that it doesn't show up.

UMS' root folder will contain all shared folders, web folders, plugins that have their own "folders" and other "special folders". You will find no media in the root folder, it's simply a place where you select what you want to browse. When you select to browse your (single) shared folder, you will see the content of that folder.

It turns out this was only about one "extra" click. If UMS was to show the content of your shared folder as the root, how would you show other shared folders (if defined), Web folders, plugins, new media etc? This is the way it's organized, and there's no bug.