Introducing: Standalone builds for Windows

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Introducing: Standalone builds for Windows

Post by SubJunk »

As of 7.3.0, we are releasing standalone builds. These are the same as the other builds with one difference - they use an internal version of Java. This is good for a couple of reasons:

Why use standalone?
  1. You don't need to have Java installed on your computer to run standalone versions of UMS
    You will still need it for other Java applications, but if you don't have any of those you don't need it anymore.
  2. You can avoid problems caused by different versions of Java
    Using our standalone builds means you are using our recommended version of Java. Particularly newer versions are causing problems for many users, so this is a good way to avoid those problems. These builds will use the internal Java version even if you have other ones installed on your computer, ensuring that UMS will use the best version for itself.

Download:

7.3.0 (standalone, x64) If you don't know which version you want, this is probably the one. It is our 64-bit release.

7.3.0 (standalone, x86) This version is mostly for older systems that are running a 32-bit operating system. Only choose this if you know you need it, or if the 64-bit one above doesn't work.

Installation and updating of these builds is the same as the regular builds, and you can switch back to regular builds at any time.

Conclusion:

Lastly, maybe standalone isn't a good name for these builds, since they still involve installation which is different to what is usually meant by "standalone". We are interested to get your feedback on a better name for them, and interested to get feedback on how these builds are working for you!
erick diangilis

Re: Introducing: Standalone builds for Windows

Post by erick diangilis »

hi subjunk i think this is a wonderful idea i like the standalone name but maybe ums 7.3.0 Windows edition or maybe 7.3.0 java special edition something that helps people to not get confused with the standard versions without java included. :)

thanks for the releases i will try the standard ones and the standalone ones to see wich ones works better for me.
keep up with the good work and god bless.
zoomcns

Post by zoomcns »

"Self-contained" comes to mind, but I feel "standalone" is still better than that, and is also widely used in this field and context:

"stand-alone (jargon): Capable of operating without other programs, libraries, computers, hardware, networks, etc."
Tellurian

Post by Tellurian »

:D I agree with using 'Self Contained', "UMS-SC 7.3.0 x64.exe".
lriuqs

Post by lriuqs »

Hey,

good thing, but if I use UMS as service it looks for me that UMS still uses standard JAVA to work. Is there way to change it? It is frustrating when after JAVA update, UMS from the service is not visible in my lan. I always have to unblock correct process in FW. JAVA after update is always in different place.

For exaple:
before:

Code: Select all

c:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\

or

c:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_1039984\
After last update:

Code: Select all

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath\
I'm using x64 version of UMS
WAusJackBauer

Post by WAusJackBauer »

Any advantage to using the x64 build?

I have a x64 OS of Windows 10 but I think until now the downloads have been x86?
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

The UMS is still x86 but the Java is 64-bit which avoid the common problem when on the 64-bit OS users install the 32-bit Java.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The x64 build also has some x64 binaries like FFmpeg and MediaInfo which can run faster than the x86 ones (from memory around 10-20% faster)
Dypsis

Re: Internal Java Builds

Post by Dypsis »

These Internal Java Builds are a great idea.

Thanks.
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

For people using *nix OS, docker based image is also an option.