Versions 7.9.0 and 8.0.0-RC1 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Versions 7.9.0 and 8.0.0-RC1 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

We added an ignore folders feature, improved Roku and Samsung TV support, and squashed a lot of bugs.

Version 8 is quite mature now and we aren't seeing many new bug reports about it specifically, so we have bumped it from beta to release candidate. What that means is we have good confidence in this release and this is likely to be the last release before the final 8.0.0. This is a really good time to try it out and report any bugs to us, since if we don't know about them we can't fix them!

Download 7.9.0:

From the front page.

Download 8.0.0 RELEASE CANDIDATE 1:

Windows
macOS
Linux

8.0.0-RC1 changes since 8.0.0-b1
  • General
    • Database cleanup step removes files that are no longer shared
    • Cleanup of new config settings
    • All changes in 7.9.0
7.9.0 changes since 7.8.0
  • General:
    • Added the ability to ignore folders by name, which defaults to ".unwanted"
    • The server shows up on devices sooner
    • Increased the difference between button hover/pressed states
    • Improved stability and logging when moving files after fully playing
    • Improved recognition of AAC
    • Fixed H.264 profile not updating
    • Fixed low bitrate audio on transcoded web videos (thanks, SsJVasto!)
    • Fixed content updating in the Media Library on some devices
    • Logging fixes
  • Renderers:
    • Improved support for Roku 4 (thanks, TahomaSoft!)
    • Improved support for Samsung 9 Series TVs
  • Languages:
    • Updated translations via Crowdin:
      • Dutch translation updated
      • Bulgarian translation updated
      • Korean translation updated
      • Swedish translation updated
      • Turkish translation updated

Compatibility notes:

These releases work on Java 7, 8, and 10+
We recommend using Java 8, and if you do not want to have Java installed, you can use the standalone installers on Windows.
The Windows releases work on Windows Vista onwards.
boss

Re: Version 7.9.0 and 8.0.0-RC1 released

Post by boss »

V7.9 gives me the same problems as I reported for V7.8 on my LG-BP550 bluray player and LG-WebOS 3.5 TV.
That being:

On Gentoo Linux Headless
I have found that there is a problem with the fast forward controls.
3 arrows fast forward and then push the play button and the movie freezes for some time and then starts.
4 arrows fast forward and the movie freezes totally and needs to be restarted,
Fast rewind does not work at all.

I tested previous versions and the problem was the same starting at V7.7.1. I didn't have V7.7.0 on my server to test so not sure if it is a problem in V7.7.0.
My guess is that it probably would be and the issue is because of something implemented in V7.

I have reverted back to V7.6.2 and the fast forward and fast rewind work fine.

Then I tested V8.0.0-RC1.
With V8.0.0-B1 the fast forward and rewind worked OK but in some folders, only one video (out of 10 - 20) in that folder was being displayed.
With V8.0.0-RC1 all the videos in the folders now show but V8.0.0-RC1 now has the fast forward and rewind issues (as are with V7.7 V7.8 V7.9).
erick diangilis

Post by erick diangilis »

hi subjunk thanks for the releases. im having issues to download the version 8.0.0 rc1 for Windows the download process get stuck around 14 to 16 percent if i pause and continue the download it continues but at certain point it auto complete and when i try to install the Windows gives me a warning that the file is corrupted or damaged can you please reupload this version i've tried a couple of times but with no success. i'm also having the same issues to download the 7.9.0 version.
Last edited by erick diangilis on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erick diangilis

Post by erick diangilis »

i could download them with lots tries but them don't seem to work well on the ps4 pro with latest update on the console media player 4.01 wich is says to improve performance i have been experiencing slow down on some videos wich are not happening before that acctualy the problem started when the media player updated shortly after the release of previous media server version 8b1. i wonder why there isn't any version that propper recocnize the console as a pro with a Picture of it instead the regular ps4 it's been 3 years since the launch and i don't see any version that shows the ps4 pro with a render and a thumbnail for it. if you can solve the situation i would appreciate it.
AuthenticM

Post by AuthenticM »

Hello,

I installed 8.0.0-RC1 on my Windows 10 computer. It had to download and install a new version of Java to run, which it did. After that, the program booted. However, it would not detect my PS4. I closed the app and booted it again. It once more asked me to download and install the same version of Java it had just previously installed. Moreover, it was still not detecting my PS4.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

ONCE AGAIN
BraviaEX.conf file still broken, does not implement FFMPEG fix needed as outlined in this thread and the last few posts and confirmed by myself and at least 2 other users...
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... 734#p38734
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@Paradox did you try the

Code: Select all

KeepAspectRatioTranscoding = true
instead of making the custom FFMpeg video filter?
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

valib wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 pm @Paradox did you try the

Code: Select all

KeepAspectRatioTranscoding = true
instead of making the custom FFMpeg video filter?
Yep and that option alone to fix things (as far as all the version of UMS ive tried dating back to early 6.xx days and possibly before) NEVER worked properly on the 2010/2011/2012 Bravia EX range of TVs.

It did not work in PMS in the last versions of that either which implemented a similar function (i forget what they called it) either. That custom command does not fix things for either Mencoder or FFMpeg, which would explain why Mencoder has had the custom "CustomMencoderOptions =" line in the conf file for as long as i can remember. (removing "CustomMencoderOptions" line and adding the "KeepAspectRatioTranscoding" also then destroys the aspect in Mencoder playback (adds black bars to non 16:9 content and squashes the image).

Ive also gone over this all before, and that option, as has a couple of other Bravia owners in various past threads. For perfect (or as near as it can be on Bravias) FFMPEg and Mencoder both need the custom options.

To be honest im using UMS less and less now there are just better non java UNPNP stuff available (by better i mean less memory hungry, less finicky with needing custom options for different devices etc, etc). Having to keep fixing Bravia profiles in each new or every other release of UMS which as far as i can see do not really do anything new has become a bit tiresome now. As has fixing things and it not being included with updates.