PS4 Pro randomly stops rendering

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Happy13178

PS4 Pro randomly stops rendering

Post by Happy13178 »

Long time user, love the application, but recently I've been having trouble. I have the latest version of UMS (7.8.0), Java v8u21 (build 1.8.0_201-b09), but issue was happening previous to those versions. Basically I load up UMS, turn on the PS4 Pro (IP 192.168.1.179 in logs, connected wireless), select a file to play and it will randomly stop playing. When it stops, the media player app returns to default screen and will not detect UMS until the app is closed and fully restarted on the PS4. I've uninstalled and reinstalled java and UMS (both full clean installs) on the PC, and uninstalled/removed cached files/reinstalled the media player app on the ps4. The issue does NOT seem to appear with another PS4 Pro on the same network, only difference appears to be that the second one is hardwired to the network. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere to correct this? Signal strength on wireless is excellent, model is Asus RT-AC3100. Nothing else on the network is misbehaving.

Side note, note sure if my TV is causing it...it's the Sony XBR-55X900F, noticed it's showing up 3 times in Status screen, and that's the TV the PS4 that's causing problems is connected to. Attached Trace log and screenshots, hoping for some direction?
2019-02-13_094114.jpg
2019-02-13_094114.jpg (484.78 KiB) Viewed 16828 times
2019-02-13_081910.jpg
2019-02-13_081910.jpg (104.09 KiB) Viewed 16828 times
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(453.96 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
valib
Developer

Re: PS4 Pro randomly stops rendering

Post by valib »

You generaly set

Code: Select all

maximum_bitrate = 0
which could be good for wired renderers but not for renderers connected wireless when the video is transcoded. I recommend to set

automatic_maximum_bitrate = true
and let the UMS to calculate the maximum bitrate for each renderer.
Happy13178

Post by Happy13178 »

Is it a bitrate issue though? If I drop to wireless will that affect video quality?

Anyways, set to wireless under Transcoding Settings-Misc Settings, will see what it does.
Happy13178

Post by Happy13178 »

Had time to test, and it did it again...new debug files attached. Unclear if this is a config file issue? There are 3 PS4s in my house right now....A normal PS4 hardwired, a PS4 pro hardwired, and a PS4 pro wireless....only the wireless is having this issue. I would hardwire it and ignore, but location is impossible where it is. Played the same file in the other PS4 pro and it went all the way through without error. New debug files attached....thoughts? I assigned the IP as static in my router, but didn't appear to make a difference.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(412.5 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
erick diangilis

Post by erick diangilis »

hey i would go wired ps4 wireless is not good even on pro i tried here even in games sucks bad maybe you should go wired since the others work better but if there is no chance to change the setup for the room the only choice is to keep working with guys here until you got a good configuration for the playback. wireless you can't push the quality of the playback too high unless your equipment can handle high transfer speeds and it's also subjected to interfereance with other things in your house.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@Happy13178 I see from your log that you do not set for testing

and let

maximum_bitrate = 0
which is the main problem for wireless connection.

EDIT: why do you use 32-bit Java on the Windows 10 64-bit?
Happy13178

Post by Happy13178 »

erick diangilis wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:52 am hey i would go wired ps4 wireless is not good even on pro i tried here even in games sucks bad maybe you should go wired since the others work better but if there is no chance to change the setup for the room the only choice is to keep working with guys here until you got a good configuration for the playback. wireless you can't push the quality of the playback too high unless your equipment can handle high transfer speeds and it's also subjected to interfereance with other things in your house.
Yeah, every other PS4 in the house is wired, but the room this particular one is in isn't possible to hardwire. That said, the wireless connection in this room is arguably the strongest in the house, and I don't think equipment limitation is the issue....the video streams at perfect quality until it randomly stops without loss of framerate or hiccuping/any delays. Interference also doesn't seem to be an issue, wireless survey shows no other SSID's in range using the same channel, and there are no other technologies I know of that would be causing any interference.
Happy13178

Post by Happy13178 »

valib wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 am @Happy13178 I see from your log that you do not set for testing

and let

maximum_bitrate = 0
which is the main problem for wireless connection.

EDIT: why do you use 32-bit Java on the Windows 10 64-bit?
Thanks valib, I wasn't aware that I was using 32 bit java...on the Java page it said that it would automatically select 64, but on the chance that wasn't the case I removed and manually chose the 64 bit version to install. For the code references you mentioned, is that in manual configuration of UMS file? right now automatic_maximum_bitrate = blank (nothing), maximum_bitrate=0, but I did change transcoding quality for MPEG-2 and H.264 to Automatic (wireless) under Transcoding Settings>Misc settings. Was there anything else I needed to enable to get proper logging of this, apart from the usual TRACE logs?
Happy13178

Post by Happy13178 »

So made the changes after updating Java and whatnot, issue remains, new logs attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(526.96 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Happy13178 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 am
Thanks valib, I wasn't aware that I was using 32 bit java...on the Java page it said that it would automatically select 64, but on the chance that wasn't the case I removed and manually chose the 64 bit version to install. For the code references you mentioned, is that in manual configuration of UMS file? right now automatic_maximum_bitrate = blank (nothing), maximum_bitrate=0, but I did change transcoding quality for MPEG-2 and H.264 to Automatic (wireless) under Transcoding Settings>Misc settings. Was there anything else I needed to enable to get proper logging of this, apart from the usual TRACE logs?
To set it is simple. Go to the "General configuration" panel at the UMS GUI and enable the "Use automatic maximum bandwidth". Than restart the UMS to apply the change.