Subtitles for non English parts only

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Litreofcola

Subtitles for non English parts only

Post by Litreofcola »

Hi all,

I'm not a very tech oriented person, but UMS was easy to get and use and I don't generally have any issues.

Recently I am trying to re watch Game of Thrones to get ready for the final season and I notice that nothing I watch on any device has subtitles when they are speaking other languages then English. As these are translated in show most of the time, it ruins the experiance a bit.

I was wondering if there is a way to watch the show with only those subtitles showing, not English for what everyone says.

I tried to google this or check the forums but I haven't really found anything that matches this specific issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
mik_s

Re: Subtitles for non English parts only

Post by mik_s »

It depends on your setup, the format of your files and what you are streaming to.

Just had a look at my collection for GoT and found there are a mix of none, internal subs and others with them burned in.
You can download external subs from several sites, I got mine from here, set (English) and (Foreign only) filters on to find what you need easier.
Copy the .srt files to the same directory as your episodes, making sure the files start with the same name like this:-

Code: Select all

Game Of Thrones S03E01.mp4
Game Of Thrones S03E01 - English.srt
Game Of Thrones S03E02.mp4
Game Of Thrones S03E03.mp4
Game Of Thrones S03E03 - English.srt
UMS should recognition them. How they are displayed depends on your renderer and config though.
Mine is set up to stream the .srt with a video that is natively playable on my renderer which prevents unnecessary transcoding.
I think by default UMS will transcode and burn in any subs it finds if you have that option selected, or you can choose in the #--Transcode--# folder
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Litreofcola

Post by Litreofcola »

To be honest anything you said after the link for the subtitles was a bit lost on me. I prefer to watch through my Ps3 as I can watch it a bit sped up, since the PS4 and Samsung TV don't have that option.

Looking at that website it seems there are parts for subtitles for non English speaking parts only. So if I under stand properly I want to download each one for each episode, put it in the subtitle folder for each season and make sure it is named the exact same as episode.

By default though, no subtitles are played when I watch anything so I would have to use the transcode folder and figure out which one is the right subtitles I want? Is there a way to make UMS pick the right one and do it automatically via the Ps3 as the device being used to watch it?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Litreofcola wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 pm Looking at that website it seems there are parts for subtitles for non English speaking parts only. So if I under stand properly I want to download each one for each episode, put it in the subtitle folder for each season and make sure it is named the exact same as episode.
yeah pretty much. just put the srt files in the same folder as your video files, that's the first place UMS looks for subs, not sure if it checks for a subtitle folder though.
I know you can set up a central subtitle folder but i don't use that so not sure how to do it exactly.

Just make sure the start of the file name for the srt matches the video file, any thing extra will be used to try and identify the language.
there is an option to add subtitle information to video names so you can see if the subs have been detected by UMS.

PS4 supports subtitles so i've added these options to my Sony-PlayStation4.config to tell UMS not to burn in subs and let my PS4 handle it

Code: Select all

# Supported subtitles formats:
SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats = SUBRIP
SupportedInternalSubtitlesFormats = ASS,SUBRIP

StreamSubsForTranscodedVideo = true
PS3 doesn't support subs, so UMS has to handle them. as long as they are not disabled they should be automatically on. check the subtitle settings in the transcoding settings.

I no longer use the built in PS3 media player since i have custom firmware on my ps3, which allowed me to install Movian. It is much better than the media players on PS3 or PS4 and plays just about anything.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Litreofcola

Post by Litreofcola »

The ps3 media player has the 1. 5 speed option which is amazing and the best thing of it. Both ps4 and TV don't, and I'm not a custom firmware to get media player kinda guy, so when I rewatch shows u much rather save time and watch it at 1. 5 . I will give it a try and test tomorrow as it's late here. Thanks for the info, I hope it works!