(SOLVED) Two instance of UMS on PS4 not showing at same time

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Chuck_Arch_Ums

(SOLVED) Two instance of UMS on PS4 not showing at same time

Post by Chuck_Arch_Ums »

Hi all,
First I would like to thanks all peoples who have made UMS (and in the past PMS) possible and free.
I use them for many years on my PS3 and for many years on my PS4 and they work well. Here is my problem.
I have this setup and everythings are on same network :
- One PC wired to my router running one instance of UMS on port: A
- Another Laptop wirelessly connected to my router running on instance of UMS on port: B
- PS4 wired to my router running the Media Player App
- Each UMS running the same modify PS4 renderer configuration file

The problem is that I can only see one of the server at a time and this is always the first one that I have started.
I was wondering if it is a PS4 limitation for not allowing wireless and wired connection at same time?
I got no error at all in debug,
I tryed to use IP white listing to set the two instance of UMS to PS4 IP only because they where always connecting to the other UMS instance instead of PS4, but it change nothing.

Everything work perfectly if I'm using one server at a time, but I would like to see the two running and choose on PS4 Media Player which one I want.
Anyone know if this setup is possible and got any clues on what I should do, try?

Thanks,
Last edited by Chuck_Arch_Ums on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: Two instance of UMS on PS4 not showing at same time

Post by Nadahar »

My guess is that you use the same UUID in both UMS.conf files. The UUIDs are supposed to be unique, and if you remove it from one of the configuration files and start UMS, a new one will be generated.

If both instances use the same UUID, your renderers will get confused when "finding" the same device on multiple IP/ports.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Try changing the name of the server on your laptop as if they have the same name then only one will be picked up. Just tried this myself and I have a similar setup, if both servers is called "UMS" only one shows up on my PS4, however both do show in movian which I use on my ps3 with custom firmware. When I change the name of the one running on my laptop to "UMS (lappy)" both show up on the PS4.

You can change the server name in the General settings tab. May be a good idea to set "force networking on interface" to the one used by your laptop as it was blank for me the first time i tried it and nothing happened, but setting it made it work straight away.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Chuck_Arch_Ums

Post by Chuck_Arch_Ums »

Nadahar wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:44 am My guess is that you use the same UUID in both UMS.conf files. The UUIDs are supposed to be unique, and if you remove it from one of the configuration files and start UMS, a new one will be generated.

If both instances use the same UUID, your renderers will get confused when "finding" the same device on multiple IP/ports.
Exactly my problem I should have seen this since I tell you that I use the same configuration for the two (copy paste not always a good thing!). Everythings work now.
Just for my information, why does each UMS server detect the other UMS as a renderer?

Thanks for your help
Last edited by Chuck_Arch_Ums on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck_Arch_Ums

Post by Chuck_Arch_Ums »

mik_s wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:59 am Try changing the name of the server on your laptop as if they have the same name then only one will be picked up. Just tried this myself and I have a similar setup, if both servers is called "UMS" only one shows up on my PS4, however both do show in movian which I use on my ps3 with custom firmware. When I change the name of the one running on my laptop to "UMS (lappy)" both show up on the PS4.

You can change the server name in the General settings tab. May be a good idea to set "force networking on interface" to the one used by your laptop as it was blank for me the first time i tried it and nothing happened, but setting it made it work straight away.
Already have different name for each UMS server.

Thanks for the reply.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Chuck_Arch_Ums wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 am why does each UMS server detect the other UMS as a renderer?
It's a bit complicated, but it comes down to a flawed logic for what is considered a renderer. UMS will list anything that contacts it in response to it's UPnP announcements as a renderer, without actually evaluating if it is one.