[Solved] ums will never start on my pc even after clean install

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ash549k

[Solved] ums will never start on my pc even after clean install

Post by ash549k »

here's what i tried:
  • I used to be running UMS 6.7.3 and suddenly it stopped launching on my PC so i tried upgrading to the latest version (version 9) and still it wont launch, all i get is the language selection screen and once i press select the window closes and nothing happens.
  • I then tried reinstalling both versions while checking clean install yet no luck then i tried to reinstall the latest version of java both the 64 and 32 bit versions and still no luck,
  • I read on the forum here that i can try to launch the .jar file directly using CMD and i did do that and still no luck, however the window showed me : " Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows", (I will attach the log file in the post)
  • I deleted the UMS profile in program data folder
  • I reinstalled the graphics driver
I am running on windows 10 1903 Home edition x64bit
my specs are ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram and rtx 2060 super

Update: I solved the issue by disabling RTSS (rivaturner statistics server) when running UMS. since i always want it running in the background, i opened up rtss and added the java, javaw and ums exes in ums folder to rtss manually and set detection level to none. this way ums works while keeping rtss running in the background.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-09-18 160933.jpg
Annotation 2019-09-18 160933.jpg (189.2 KiB) Viewed 8176 times
hs_err_pid1144.log
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Last edited by ash549k on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nadahar

Re: ums will never start on my pc even after clean install

Post by Nadahar »

It seems like there's some issue between Java and your Windows installation that makes it crash when it tries to create the GUI. Have you done any changes related to GPU, GPU driver or similar that coincides with when this problem started?
ash549k

Post by ash549k »

Yes I upgraded my video card and reinstalled the graphics driver via DDU, I will try to reinstall the graphics driver and will report back however Minecraft java edition works just fine on my pc so I doubt that it's due to the graphics driver
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've never tested Minecraft, but I doubt it uses the same graphical framework that UMS does, which is called Swing. Minecraft probably uses DirectX or OpenCL to draw directly to the GPU, while UMS uses Swing to draw "Windows like components" for it's GUI. Swing is a part of the Java JRE, so UMS has no control over it as such.
ash549k

Post by ash549k »

but I doubt it uses the same graphical framework that UMS does, which is called Swing. Minecraft probably uses DirectX or OpenCL to draw directly to the GPU
Forgive my ignorance :P

Anyways, i just uninstalled my graphics card driver via DDU and installed the latest version still ums doesn't start :(
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This problem is somehow related to a problem with your Windows installation or your Java installation. It's hard to tell exactly what, but I suspect that your GPU driver removal or installation has caused some problem.

The last method called before the crash is "sun.java2d.d3d.D3DSurfaceData.updateWindowAccelImpl". I guess it doesn't tell you much, but from the name it seems like a problem when trying to update or select the Windows Direct3d graphics acceleration implementation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D). It sounds very much like a driver/driver registration issue to me, but it could also be that some Windows registry settings have been invalidated in such a way that this crashed, for example if there's a lingering, invalid entry still there.

Since this is between Java and Windows, there's nothing much anyone can do from UMS' side. I would try to uninstall Java and install an older version, assuming you already have the latest.

Generally, I'm very skeptical of using driver or registry "cleaners" like DDU. Installers and uninstallers usually register in many different places, and it's very hard for such 3. party tools to keep up with all the details and properly undo everything. I generally recommend that people only try such tools if the "normal" uninstallation fails. I suspect that DDU have left something behind, that is causing problems.

I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me, I would uninstall the current GPU driver, reboot, reinstall the old one (the one you originally removed with DDU), reboot, uninstall the old driver (NOT using DDU), reboot and then finally install the current driver (NOT using DDU).

If you're lucky, the uninstallation of the (old) driver will clean up whatever DDU has left behind. It might not work though, in which case you'll just have to resort to either troubleshooting Direct3D/Java problems by searching online, or restoring a previous restore point (from before you did the driver uninstallation).
Last edited by Nadahar on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ash549k

Post by ash549k »

sounds to me that its just easier to nuke my whole windows installation, thanks a lot for you help :)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It sure sounds easier to me to restore a restore point if it exists than to reinstall Windows. I'd give it at least a shot first: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... _windows10
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

Here are some probable causes for D3D failing on win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7e10e334dc . Hope something helps.
ash549k

Post by ash549k »

atamariya wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm Here are some probable causes for D3D failing on win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7e10e334dc . Hope something helps.
Holy shit this worked... turns out it was rivatuner stastics server (RTSS) that was causing UMS not to start. Thank you all for the help