unable to bind to 1900 WIN7x64

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
TheOnlyPenguin

unable to bind to 1900 WIN7x64

Post by TheOnlyPenguin »

Hello,

Starting last night I have been receiving the following error:

Code: Select all

Unable to bind to 1900, which means that UMS will not automatically appear on your renderer! This usually means that another program occupies the port. Please stop the other program and free up the port. UMS will keep trying to bind to it...[Address already in use: Cannot bind]
Nothing has changed in my computer since the previous startup.

I've used a command prompt and netstat/tasklist to determine what program is using port 1900 and came up with the following:

https://imgur.com/a/7ThOhPB

I've have come up with nothing on what the cause could be in regards to this sudden change in behavior.

I have been digging around trying to determine how to change the default port of 1900 to a new value but have not figured this out either.

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(33.17 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Chuck_Arch_Ums

Re: unable to bind to 1900 WIN7x64

Post by Chuck_Arch_Ums »

Try setting a port number like 3667 for example in General settings tab, force port of the server and try again.
TheOnlyPenguin

Post by TheOnlyPenguin »

I was already running on port 6001, but I did try your suggested change of 3667 and still have the issue. New trace logs attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg_1.zip
(40.06 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Chuck_Arch_Ums

Post by Chuck_Arch_Ums »

have you open the port 1900 in windows firewall for UMS?
Seem to be the problem?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You're focusing on the wrong port. The web interface (HTTP) is running on port 9001 by default, the content transfer (HTTP) is running on port 5001 by default. These can be modified, but aren't the problem here.

Port 1900 is used for UPnP traffic, and can't be changed. It's defined in the UPnP standard an all UPnP devices must use this port. This port is also reserved exclusively for UPnP use, so no other services should use it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Se ... y_Protocol

While the HTTP ports are "acquired" by the process that binds to them, so that they are unavailable for all other processes on the same IP/NIC, port 1900 is supposed to be shared - so that any number of processes can all listen to this port. If UMS can't bind to port 1900, it means that: 1) There's some other software running that has somehow managed to wrongly bind exclusively to this port 2) Some kind of "security system" (firewall, OS permissions etc) preventing access to the port.

There is nothing that can be done with UMS to change this, it has to use this port. The solution is to find the reason UMS can't bind to this port, and resolve that. My guess is that some "rogue software" is running is causing this.
TheOnlyPenguin

Post by TheOnlyPenguin »

Do you have any suggestions on how to track down the possible "rogue software" because as I have indicated before there have been no changes made to my computer regarding anything.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Opening a powershell or command line as administrator and running "netstat -abo" should be a good start. It will list all ports currently in use and what processes that use them.
TheOnlyPenguin

Post by TheOnlyPenguin »

as far as i can tell it still only shows the same 2 programs "using" port 1900, svchost.exe and transfer.exe
Attachments
netstat-abo.txt
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's a bit hard to read the netstat output, but as I read it, "Transfer.exe" isn't involved with port 1900. It's only svchost.exe twice. svchost.exe is a process that runs all Windows services, so it could mean any number of different software. That said, Windows itself also use port 1900 for its "home group" functionality, so it's normal to see svchost.exe using port 1900.

I would try to stop any service that seem like it is some kind of UPnP based service, and just see if it made a difference (run "services.msc" to start/stop services). If you don't find anything there, I would try to disable any firewalls and virus software you have running (just temporarily) to see if one of those block access to the port.

Apart from this, I'm really our of ideas.
TheOnlyPenguin

Post by TheOnlyPenguin »

ive tried disabling the firewall as well..

im glad im not the only one who is confused by this. ive been thinking it might be time for a reformatting, this just furthers this thinking :/