Video freezes suddenly

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Snake19

Video freezes suddenly

Post by Snake19 »

Hi, everyone!
I'have a problem with UMS - when I watch some movie on ps3 via UMS, movie can suddenly freezes on about 2-3 or sometimes 5 sec.
It can happen sometimes, but sometimes - not. It don't connect with particular movie or UMS version. I tried with many UMS version (every one since 7.9 to 9.1), but problem is still there.
But today i noticed freeze and watched on log and found that line (Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 1860), maybe it is clue?
Please, help.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 449 times
jelskein

Re: Video freezes suddenly

Post by jelskein »

Snake19 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm Hi, everyone!
I'have a problem with UMS - when I watch some movie on ps3 via UMS, movie can suddenly freezes on about 2-3 or sometimes 5 sec.
It can happen sometimes, but sometimes - not. It don't connect with particular movie or UMS version. I tried with many UMS version (every one since 7.9 to 9.1), but problem is still there.
But today i noticed freeze and watched on log and found that line (Sending kill -14 to the Unix process: 1860), maybe it is clue?
Please, help.
I have also facing same issue. Still didn't get any solution?
Nadahar

Re: Video freezes suddenly

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know if some of the devs have looked at this without coming back or not, but I'd just like to mention a couple of general issues that can cause this.
  • If the video is transcoding and you're CPU isn't quite up to the task, it might be that it works most of the time, but that it can get into trouble in parts of the video that is "harder" to transcode (the effort it takes to compress video depends on how much the picture changes, the range of colors in use etc). But, if that were the case, you would expect that some videos were without problems, and that others had issues relatively consistently, often in the same parts.
  • If your network bandwidth is too low, you can experience this both for transcoding and for direct streaming. Wireless networks almost never maintain the exact same bandwidth over time, it varies depending on other radio signals in the area, magnetic fields, electronic interference, the position of objects or people/animals etc. If your bandwidth is "just about enough", these variations can make it fail seemingly randomly.
This can have many other reasons two, but you should make sure to eliminate these basic potential sources before pursuing other causes.