cant fast foreword or rewind

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
wezwez

cant fast foreword or rewind

Post by wezwez »

when I play the selected media from my computer to my tv , I cant fast foreword or rewind, while if I played the same media file from a connected external hard drive to the tv I can, am I doing something wrong or this issue is fixable?
Nadahar

Re: cant fast foreword or rewind

Post by Nadahar »

It might be fixable, it depends. The reason you can't seek is that the file is being transcoded. If your TV can play the file form an external harddrive, chances are that it should not be.
wezwez

Post by wezwez »

I hope to know how to respond to that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , so can u help me?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry, I can't help you - I just wanted to explain why you can't seek to make it a bit less of a mystery.

Handling this correctly is very complicated, and UMS' code has severe "limitations" in this regard. That said, I'm not sure it is possible how ever clever the logic might be to always make it work. The behavior of the renderers in this regard varies a lot, and the standards (UPnP AV/DLNA) just partly addresses the related issues. It seems to me when I read the standards, that it wasn't really on their mind from the start, and that it has been "retrofitted" later - making it something of a "patchwork".

The only thing non-developers can do, is to configure their renderer configurations to not transcode when not necessary. You can find countless threads about that topic on this forum. Interested developers could try to dive into the matter, study the code and the standards. I have done enough of that to say that it's a complicated issue, but not enough to solve it.
wezwez

Post by wezwez »

thanks a lot for your help