Samsung (2019) fails to play .avi files in 9.2.0

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
radadam

Samsung (2019) fails to play .avi files in 9.2.0

Post by radadam »

Good evening,
I started having trouble playing some .avi files on my Samsung UN55RU8000FXZA television through UMS. The TV simply shows a popup saying "Unsupported Feature" and 3 buttons: Troubleshoot, Skip, Stop. Troubleshoot brings up a screen with supported file types. avi files ARE supported, so I can't diagnose the problem easily.

Some of these worked previously, but I don't know what caused them to stop. Unfortunately, I updated UMS to 9.2.0 before I determined if my conf file was at fault. I don't know if the change was caused by a Samsung update recently (I am not aware of one, however).

I had previously been using a modified .conf file, since this Samsung does not support DTS. I did a clean install, so I lost the conf file (but I downloaded it from these forums... I believe it was called Samsung-Q6series.conf).

Is it possible for me modify a conf file to allow these avi files to stream properly?

Thanks so much for your help-
--Adam
Attachments
ums_dbg_radadam.zip
(265.88 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
radadam

Re: Samsung (2019) fails to play .avi files in 9.2.0

Post by radadam »

Shoot, unfortunately the problem with some mkv files is back (presumably DTS). I'm getting an "audio not supported" message.

EDIT: I modified the "Samsung 8-series" configuration file to match the default SamsungQ6 file, and the mkv files work. I am still having trouble with the avi files.
radadam

Post by radadam »

Well, all I did was modify the conf file again to remove the avi line, and everything works perfectly.

Is there a way to change which conf file a device uses? I couldn't figure this out. UMS automatically detects and uses the Samsung-8series.conf, and I couldn't discover a way to have it use a different (custom) file.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are ways to do this, but it's not very user-friendly. It involves editing the configuration files manually, and to have at least rudimentary knowledge of regular expressions.

Four configuration settings govern what configuration file is "matched": https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... f#L33-L130

By modifying these settings, you can affect what configuration is selected. It's not always that straight forward to know how to modify it though, and you'd probably need to enable trace logs and peek in the log files to see what details the device in question actually sends out to know how to modify the "matching".
Str@nger

Post by Str@nger »

Have same problem with my 2 Samsung TVs QE49Q70RAU and UE32N5300AUX

Playback works if .avi contains divx codec, tvs wont play if .avi contains xvid codec.

Problem in LibMediaInfoParser.java lines 645-660
There 4 codecs divx, xvid, dx51 and dvx1 casts as DIVX.

Samsung TVs support only DivX 3.11/4/5/6, they doesnot support XVID codec.