Version 9.3.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 9.3.0 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release adds support for new devices, fixes subtitles being transcoded needlessly, improved support for more files, and more!

We have been on a mission this month to resolve issues on our GitHub tracker, and we have resolved over 11% of them this month. Thanks to one of our newest project members polygirl for the massive help in getting us more organized.

We will continue the work in the coming months along with our larger goals which include more rich metadata and remote media access.

Lastly we have been hard at work on release automation so that we can do more frequent releases, so expect to see the time between releases get shorter very soon.

If you are interested in helping us develop UMS, we have easy stories to get started on on our GitHub repository, just head on over and we can point you in the right direction.

Download:

You can download it from the front page, our other official mirrors, or install it via Docker with:

Code: Select all

docker pull universalmediaserver/ums
Changes since 9.2.0
  • General:
    • Added support for devices that require MRR authorization, like Denon AVR devices (thanks, sc3141)
    • Added support for symlinks in the folder selector
    • Fixed subtitles being transcoded unnecessarily
    • Fixed compiling on new OpenJDK versions
    • Improved support for audio files
    • Improved parsing of uncommon files
    • Fixed attempting to add empty files
    • Added some regression testing for our use of FFmpeg and MediaInfo
  • Dependencies:
    • Updated JRE to 1.8.241
Notes:
  • The Windows releases work on Windows Vista onwards.
Darth Ed

Re: Version 9.3.0 released

Post by Darth Ed »

The Mac disk image wouldn't mount. The Finder and hdiutil report the error "no mountable file systems". Disk Utility reports "The image does not have a checksum so can not be verified." This is the file downloaded from fosshub.com that you get when you click on the download link at the universalmediaserver.com front page. The file size is 89456640 bytes, which is clearly wrong.

When I relaunched 9.2.0, it informed me of the new version in a dialog. I clicked the "Download" button in the dialog box, and it downloaded a Mac disk image with the file size 186952011 bytes. I'm not sure where it was downloaded from, but that one worked. (And whoa! Hallelujah! It's code-signed!)
johnsim3

Post by johnsim3 »

Hello SubJunk,

Thanks for the new version :D

For your information:
  • Updated JRE to 1.8.241
In 64-bit Ubuntu 18.04 the new 9.3.0 version does not run with the delivered JRE.
Only when I completely replace the JRE (the "linux" folder) with the JRE delivered in version 9.2.0 then the 9.3.0 starts running.

Again, thanks for the update!

Best regards,

Johnny
nouse

Post by nouse »

With this version, a number of *.ass subtitles, which i want to be transcoded by UMS, are not recognized. Within both my TV sets (Samsung E and Samsung MU), the files are listed with an {Unknown Subtitles} -tag, and the files are played without subs, e.g.:

TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.220 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource This video has external subtitles that must be transcoded
DEBUG 2020-03-05 00:36:58.220 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Final verdict: "FileX[720p.h265.mini].mp4" will be streamed
TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.221 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.formats.FormatFactory Matched format ASS to "xyz.ass"
TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.225 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Subtitles "xyz.ass" aren't valid for streaming to [TV] Samsung 8 Series
drayton

Post by drayton »

LG 55C9 oled webos 7.4 and also does it in another Lg 55C7 oled
version omv 7.4.0
with this version 7.4.0 all mkv movies are played quite well, some cut but accept.
As of this version it is impossible for me, almost half of the mkv movies tell me unsupported or invalid format.
I have been testing the new versions but all of them have to be removed due to this problem.
any solution??

LG 55C9 oled webos 7.4 y tambien me lo hace en otra Lg 55C7 oled
version omv 7.4.0
con esta version 7.4.0 todas las peliculas mkv se reproducen bastante bien, algun corte pero aceptabe.
a partir de esta version me es imposible , casi la mitad de las peliculas mkv me dice formato no soportado o no valido.
e ido probando las nuevas versiones pero todas las e tenidoque ir quitando por este problema.
alguna solucion??
andrewbarton

Post by andrewbarton »

Darth Ed wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:29 am The Mac disk image wouldn't mount. The Finder and hdiutil report the error "no mountable file systems". Disk Utility reports "The image does not have a checksum so can not be verified." This is the file downloaded from fosshub.com that you get when you click on the download link at the universalmediaserver.com front page. The file size is 89456640 bytes, which is clearly wrong.

When I relaunched 9.2.0, it informed me of the new version in a dialog. I clicked the "Download" button in the dialog box, and it downloaded a Mac disk image with the file size 186952011 bytes. I'm not sure where it was downloaded from, but that one worked. (And whoa! Hallelujah! It's code-signed!)
I had the same problem as you and your solution worked perfectly.
Ken Prosser

Post by Ken Prosser »

As noted by Darth Ed, the front page link downloads a bad disk image. So do the Mac Major Geeks and Softpedia mirrors. The Video Help mirror does produce a good disk image, as well as having links to older versions, so you can try Darth Ed's trick of using the link in the 9.2.0 version.
Ken Prosser

Post by Ken Prosser »

In reply to Drayton who has some .mkv movies that won't play:

Try converting them to some other format using the free program HandBrake. Not a quick solution, since the conversions take a while, but it should allow you to watch those "invalid format" movies.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Sorry for the trouble with the installers/packages, there was a mistake and it propagated to mirrors. That should have been fixed now on our official sources.