Multiple video files on same folder icons

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Wolfgan

Multiple video files on same folder icons

Post by Wolfgan »

Hi, FOA thanks a lot for UMS. Amazing and highly configurable server.

Question: my TV shows folder is not in tree order (show/season/episodes) as I watch and delete them. So I keep a single folder where I have a couple of eps of several series (ie CSI.S13E01, CSI.NY.S08E09, Dr.Who.S05E03 avi, mkv or mp4, etc)

Now when browsing the folder all shows appear with the folder.jpg icon as intended by the server. Would it be possible to extend UMS to do a lazy matching of the available jpg based on <movie name>? (ie CSI.S10E09.avi and CSI.S07E04.mkv will match to CSI.jpg if exists before folder.jpg, Dr.Who.S01E01.mp4 will match to Dr.Who.jpg and so on)
Thanks, Wolf.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Wolfgan

Re: Multiple video files on same folder icons

Post by Wolfgan »

I was lurking a bit around github but couldn't find the section on how UMS matches subtitles filenames to see if can be adapted to my lazy icons/thumbs idea... anyone knows?
Wolf.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Wolfgan, AFAIK it's not possible to customise the image that folders use. Otherwise we would customise them for sure!
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

SubJunk wrote:Hi Wolfgan, AFAIK it's not possible to customise the image that folders use. Otherwise we would customise them for sure!
Thx Subjunk, but I don't think I follow your reply. Isn't the folder and file covers decided by the dlna mapfile piece? (ie line 150 of https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... pFile.java)

What I'm proposing is kind of making it less strict, so iif no exact file cover match exists for the file or folder (ie CSI.S07E04.mkv matching to CSI.S07E04.jpg) a less stringent condition kicks off and matches by LtoR prefix (ie CSI.S10E09.avi and CSI.S07E04.mkv will match to CSI.jpg), that way you may have a single folder to dump all the episodes of TV series w/o requiring a tree of series/season/episodes.

But maybe it's just me the one liking the temp folder approach :-)
Thanks! Wolf
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah I see what you're saying. Yes that would be possible for sure. I'm not sure if anyone will have the motivation to make that feature though since I don't think many people will use it