[Solved] PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
speckledegg

Re: PC 'Stuttering' after UMS running for a while

Post by speckledegg »

So now we have to figure out what it is that's causing the conflict so we can get both working again... any UMS experts have any ideas?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's impossible to speculate without knowing the inner workings of Malwarebytes. Most companies aren't very eager to inform about what they are doing or how they are doing it, so I doubt that information is available. My guess is that it somehow hooks into all disk read/writes and "scans" this, and the UMS does quite a lot of this. But, it's only a guess.. only the Malwarebytes developers would know what it's actually doing that could interfere in such a way.
GregoryArndt

Post by GregoryArndt »

I joined the forum just for this issue. It took me forever to try and figure it out, using performance monitor, process explorer, etc. It got really bad at times, with the PC nearly freezing up for long periods of time. It wasn't till I found this forum thread that discussed Malwarebytes and UMS. I want to thank everyone for this.

So I disabled MWB and it seemed to keep the stuttering away, like others have posted here. I then went a bit further than that and added the UMS folder to the allowed list in MWB. So far my PC has been running both MWB and UMS for about 14 hours and no stuttering, no frozen cursor. This seemed to work, at least for me.

Hopefully this can work for others.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's good to know it's MalwareBytes. We also have a performance improvement coming in 9.4.4 that should mean we do far fewer hard drive operations which might help.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Ok so it's just a false positive. i added my ums folder to MWB's allow list (exclusion from scan) and now my pc doesn't freeze anymore.

The devs should submit UMS to Malwarebytes for analysis and they'll tell you why it's happening.

Report a false positive to Malwarebytes Support

Until this problem is fixed, you can add an exclusion in MWB from scanning the UMS folder and causing pc stutters and freezes.

How to Add an exclusion in Malwarebytes for Windows v4
Win 10 64bits
Qnap TS-212 2x3TB WD Red
Sony Bravia MN (my own conf)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That got a reply that the latest version of Malwarebytes has worked on that problem. Can someone confirm by updating it please?