start UMS.sh on boot

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
iburnthings

start UMS.sh on boot

Post by iburnthings »

I'd like root to run the script as my normal user when the system starts (login not required) so that the server is running AND when I login I can access the GUI program.
Most of the scripts I see will run the script with the console option.
I tried to remove the 'console' from the script I found at https://www.slsmk.com/how-to-install-un ... less-mode/
but it hangs when I start the service that way.
I tried some other arguments in the script
nativelook, doesn't cause a hang it also doesn't launch the gui.

If I start the server service in headless mode can I open the GUI program somehow?
Nadahar

Re: start UMS.sh on boot

Post by Nadahar »

No. The way UMS is made makes this impossible, because the GUI isn't detached from the rest of the application. It's either started headless or not, and when it runs headless, there's no way to "revive" the GUI part. It must then be restarted. When you try to start a GUI session while a headless session is already running, you will get issues because it will try to use the same configuration, database files and network ports as the already running headless session.
iburnthings

Post by iburnthings »

Alright so per my post then is there a way to automate UMS.sh to start in GUI mode when the system starts?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's not possible to start the GUI until a "desktop session" is available. That means that you'd have to hook into some script that runs during desktop login only, and that you would have to somehow make the system log in automatically. There's not really a good solution for this, UMS simply isn't designed to handle this setup.

What I would choose to do, is to run it headless - for example as a daemon, under the same user used for desktop login. I would then make sure that there was a way to start and stop the deamon from the desktop, and then stop the daemon before starting the GUI. The GUI isn't really needed for anything except to configure UMS. As long as the daemon and the GUI runs as the same user, they will share configuration files. That means that you can use the GUI to configure UMS, and then let it run without GUI using the same configuration.
Reset

Post by Reset »

Mu LEAP 15.1 server can start things with xinit. Wouldn't this make the gUI available also?
David0325

Post by David0325 »