Version 9.7.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 9.7.0 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release improves speed and stability of browsing and scanning, improves support for many different device and file combinations, and more!

Note: This release will perform one slower file scan the first time it runs, then be faster on subsequent loads.

We are busy preparing our next beta which improves, stabilizes and extends our metadata, allowing for things like recommendations, genres, ratings from major sources, etc. as well as remote access.

Download:

Windows, macOS and Linux: Our front page or our official mirrors
Docker: docker pull universalmediaserver/ums

Changes since 9.6.2
  • General:
    • Improved browsing and scanning speed and stability
    • Optimized database storage space
    • Fixed aspect ratio comparisons
    • Fixed the "Check for updates" button not finding updates
    • Fixed support for Eclipse development
    • Fixed freezes while browsing and scanning a folder at the same time
  • Renderers:
    • Improved support for high bit-depth videos on Samsung and Sony TVs, and VLC
    • Fixed transcoding support in some cases on DirecTV, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Vizio TVs, and Android phones
  • Translation updates via Crowdin:
    • Chinese Traditional (100%)
    • French (100%)
    • Hungarian (100%)
    • Polish (100%)
    • Spanish (100%)
  • Dependency updates:
    • Bump surefire-version from 3.0.0-M4 to 3.0.0-M5
Notes:
  • We fully support Windows 7+, and have limited support for Windows XP and Vista
  • macOS 10.10+ is fully supported
pipin

Re: Version 9.7.0 released

Post by pipin »

Great work. Testing now. ;)
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
erickps4

Post by erickps4 »

thanks for the new release.
chickyboom

Post by chickyboom »

Is it normal for ums to have constant network traffic when idle? It constantly opens and closes a ton of low ports just sitting there.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

pipin wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am Great work. Testing now. ;)
erickps4 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 am thanks for the new release.
chickyboom wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:53 am Is it normal for ums to have constant network traffic when idle? It constantly opens and closes a ton of low ports just sitting there.
We will need more details about it to say whether it's normal. We do have regular network traffic but I can't say whether everything you're seeing is normal without knowing what you're seeing
chickyboom

Post by chickyboom »

OK well here's what I'm seeing concerning the constant traffic:

https://i.postimg.cc/904JfQFC/Clipboard01.jpg

It's definitely more than the keep alive, since I already changed that to 2 minutes instead of it's default of 10 or so seconds.

UPDATE:
I found the cause, it's my Samsung smart tv that UMS is constantly communicating with like that. If I turn off the tv, or quit UMS, that traffic stops.
Question is, why does it work this way? Something like SimpleDLNA doesn't do this.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

chickyboom wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 pm OK well here's what I'm seeing concerning the constant traffic:

https://i.postimg.cc/904JfQFC/Clipboard01.jpg

It's definitely more than the keep alive, since I already changed that to 2 minutes instead of it's default of 10 or so seconds.

UPDATE:
I found the cause, it's my Samsung smart tv that UMS is constantly communicating with like that. If I turn off the tv, or quit UMS, that traffic stops.
Question is, why does it work this way? Something like SimpleDLNA doesn't do this.
We would need logs to see details about what the communication is between the TV and UMS. DLNA does involve a question and answer style of communication - we respond to things the TV asks us.