ump as a service

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Triplefun

Re: ump as a service

Post by Triplefun »

Triplefun wrote:make sure you have opened up TCP port 5001 in the firewall. Also, to change the settings you need to stop the service, run UMS console and change the settings, save the settings, quit, and then retstart the service.
Have you set this port. I found it worked ok as an app but I had to set this port for it to work as a service. Also, if you are running 64bit you either run 32bit java, or you need to modify the wrapper service conf file to reference x86 service.
ukd4v1d

Post by ukd4v1d »

I am having trouble getting UMS to run as a windows service also. Works perfect using the Java Console, configuration works seemlessly, but when i start the windows service nothing ever appears on my PS3

Any tips to fix this would greatly be appreciated
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

If anyone is having issues running UMS as a service please post your debug log iaw this post
It will help in assisting people in finding the issue(s)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
ukd4v1d

Post by ukd4v1d »

There is no data in the log with regards to the service
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

ukd4v1d wrote:There is no data in the log with regards to the service
But it does give what version of windows and java is. Anything will and can help.
Cheer's for the log
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
SpeedyQ

Post by SpeedyQ »

ukd4v1d wrote:There is no data in the log with regards to the service
First close UMS console.
First you want to check if there are no java.exe or javaw.exe processes related to UMS still running; these should have closed by now.
If not you have to terminate these manualy.
Once everything is closed you can start UMS again and install as a server; do this with administrator privileges.
If UMS is running but you still don't see your media on PS3, then you have to check your firewall settings.
Or (if you can disconnect from the internet) deactivate your firewall and check again.
So this should at least give you some direction what to do...
ukd4v1d

Post by ukd4v1d »

My word, I cannot believe the issue was windows firewall being totally anal!

Had to manually add the following two files to allow list, cos it never popped up as a prompt

c:\windows\system32\java.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\win32\service\wrapper.exe

obviously on 32bit Winblows it'll be c:\program files\.... etc

Well thats me all fixed, hopefully the OP will read this and too rectify there service problem.

UPDATE

Since Java update and UMS update i've also had to add "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java.exe" to the windows firewall
ukd4v1d

Post by ukd4v1d »

update in previous post
ratkiley

Post by ratkiley »

I had the same problem. UMS worked fine when I manually ran it after logging into Windows 7 64 bit, but the service would not show up in the notification bar and could not be found by my DLNA device. Eventually, I gave up on trying to get the UMS service to work after trying several different suggested solutions related to file permissions, service login permissions, "run as administrator" checkbox on the executable files (UMS.exe and wrapper.exe), adding and activating incoming firewall rules (for UMS, UPNP), etc.

Eventually, I got UMS to run on Windows 7 64 bit, and connect to my DLNA device when I turn on my computer * without logging into windows * by creating a scheduled task that is triggered on startup running with elevated privileges, running under my administrator account.

I attached the screen shots of my settings for illustration purposes.
Attachments
Screenshots.zip
(229.01 KiB) Downloaded 575 times