[Solved] Service consuming lots of resources

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
teatheredbow5

[Solved] Service consuming lots of resources

Post by teatheredbow5 »

I'm running ver 9.7.0 and have noticed my computer fan running a lot more often. Many times when I open the Task Manager in Win 10 I see the OpenJDK Platform binary (with Universal Media Server 9.7.0 as a child process) consuming approximately 20% of the memory. I'm running an Intel i7 4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz with 16GB RAM. It seems intermittent because right now it's at less than 2% but it's pretty often that it's running hot and my library of media it's monitoring has not changed.

TIA ...Tom
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(87.61 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Service consuming lots of resources

Post by SubJunk »

It would be useful if you can let us know what time the fan was running in the logs so we can check that time slot in the logs for anything.
The only time I would expect UMS to do that is during the initial file scan
teatheredbow5

Post by teatheredbow5 »

I don't have exact times but it's way beyond just an initial file scan. I would think that shouldn't take long for less than 200 video files. I attached a couple screen shots of the task manager at random times during the day. I hope it's helpful. When I kill that process the fan immediately slows down.
Attachments
UMS2.png
UMS2.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 15482 times
UMS.png
UMS.png (35.44 KiB) Viewed 15482 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

When you take a screenshot can you also note the time, and attach logs that include that time? It is normal for the program to sometimes use the CPU a lot, so I will need to know an exact time so I can reference the logs and see whether the program was doing an unexpected thing at that time
jtpa007

Post by jtpa007 »

I am having the same issue since upgrading to 9.7.0, it starts out okay but after 30 min or so I hear the fan on my system running and when I grab my laptop its red hot. The OpenJDK service is using 60% CPU or higher and RAM usage is high. I left it running last night and it was using 1.6GB RAM when I woke up. I tried the other day an uninstall and a clean reinstall and same issue, also now since I did that the service isn't automatically starting even though the option is checked on a reboot. Anyway since its lousy weather today I am probably just going to watch some movies so I will attach logs once it starts up again.
jtpa007

Post by jtpa007 »

Watched two movies yesterday and everything seemed fine, woke up in the middle of night and heard fan running high again, openjdk was using 40% CPU and just over 1GB RAM, attaching log.
Attachments
debug.log
(698.47 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
jtpa007

Post by jtpa007 »

Forgot to mention this was right around 3am fan was running high, stopped using PC at 10pm prior to that without any issues.
AliGeeJay

Post by AliGeeJay »

I am having the same issues with the fan running constantly. I have to kill the process after I watch a film and also remember to restart UMS each time I want to watch a film.

I am considering downgrading to a previous version for the time being.
AliGeeJay

Post by AliGeeJay »

AliGeeJay wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:24 am I am having the same issues with the fan running constantly. I have to kill the process after I watch a film and also remember to restart UMS each time I want to watch a film.

I am considering downgrading to a previous version for the time being.
I have just downgraded to 9.4.3 and there is zero fan noise, even when watching a film. I haven't tested it running a complete film, but much happier with the noise reduction. Especially helpful as I am currently working from home on lots of Teams meeting.
Rares

Post by Rares »

Hi guys. I have a Intel Nuc 4c/4t and after upgrading to v9.7.0/9.7.1 the CPU usage is very high, 25-30% all the time. It seems that OpenJDK is the problem...
Attachments
cpu.jpg
cpu.jpg (206.82 KiB) Viewed 15292 times