Audio disappears after pausing/skipping time (while transcoding from PC to TV)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gounok

Audio disappears after pausing/skipping time (while transcoding from PC to TV)

Post by Gounok »

Hello,

First of all, thank you for providing this great tool. I have tried different softwares, but this is the only one achieving such results and compatibility, on top of being easy to parameter and free.

UMS is working nice for my use most of the time : in my case, it's about transcoding 1080p movies from my PC to the DLNA system integrated in my Panasonic TX-65GZ1000 TV, via my WiFi network.
However, I sometimes encounter a problem which can ruin the experience. It happens on some files only, when I need to pause or skip a part of the movie (for instance, when I had to stop it and want to resume it from the middle).
Those files are running fine from the beginning (video, audio & subtitles). But as soon as I try to skip a part of it, the movie resumes at the time stamp I asked... but there is no sound anymore.
If I pause in thoses movies, video and subtitles resume almost immediatly, but the sound only comes back after ~20 seconds in the best case (if I pause only a second at the beginning, just after launching the movie), and never come back in most cases. I tried waiting minutes after skipping, but sound never reappears.
I can time-skip during the majority of my movies without experimenting any problem, though. I can't be categoric about it, but it seems to be more likely to happen on MKV files with built-in subtitles (wether I use them or not), compared to movie files with external SRT subtitles.

I'm not sure how to solve this. Am I supposed to change a setting in UMS ? Are those specific files using codecs that don't support resuming ?
For information, until now, I think I never saw UMS use anything else but ffmpeg for transcoding.
I tried different versions of UMS (I'm currently running the latest, v9.8.0). Problem always occurred on those "cursed" files.
I also tried different settings in "transcoding parameters" > "audio parameters" (unticking all boxes, only ticking "keep AC-3" & "keep DTS", only ticking "activate passthrough for AC-3 and DTS"...), but it didn't solve the problem either.

Please find in attachment the debug files of the typical problem. Here is what I did during this debug recording session :
- I launched UMS on my PC in debug mode
- I accessed the DLNA on my TV
- I browsed and launched the movie, it worked nice (video + audio + subtitles)
- After a few seconds, I tried to skip to the 19th minute : it resumed properly at this time stamp with video and subtitles, but there was no sound (note that problem also occurs if I just skip a few seconds)
- I shut down the TV after a few seconds
Note that adding an external subtitle file with the proper options ticked in UMS ("autoload subtitle with same file name" + "force external subtitles") didn't help on this file.

Please let me know if you need any additional information (about the movie file, my settings...)

Thank you for your help !
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-08-02-23-34.zip
(105.6 KiB) Downloaded 323 times