Version 9.8.2 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 9.8.2 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release improves filename prettifying, memory use, file compatibility, support for VLC, and more!

The v9 releases will continue for bugfixes and renderer support updates, and soon we will release the first pre-release for v10 which improves, stabilizes and extends our metadata, allowing for things like recommendations, genres, ratings from major sources, etc.

We are also hard at work on a new website to coincide with the v10 release.

Download:

Windows, macOS and Linux: Our front page or our official mirrors
Docker: docker pull universalmediaserver/ums
Homebrew: brew cask install universal-media-server

Changes since 9.8.1
  • General:
    • Improved filename prettifying for XviD and x265 videos
    • Improved support for WebP images
    • Fixed memory leaks
    • Fixed duration of resume files via DLNA
    • Fixed incorrect resolution metadata if the renderer uses KeepAspectRatioTranscoding
    • Fixed not removing old JRE folders on Windows install
    • Updated links in documentation (thanks, xaitax!)
    • Fixed date on zip logs filename (thanks, Midhun R Nair!)
    • Save logs to desktop by default (thanks, dotslash21!)
  • Renderers:
    • Improved support for Blu-ray and DVD subtitles on VLC for desktop
    • Improved detection of Microsoft Edge
    • Updated logo for Microsoft Edge
  • Translation updates via Crowdin:
    • Chinese (Simplified) (100%)
    • Chinese (Traditional) (100%)
    • Dutch (92%)
    • Italian (100%)
    • Romanian (100%)
    • Serbian (Cyrillic) (86%)
  • Dependencies:
    • Bump AdoptOpenJDK from 14.0.2 to 15.0.1+9
    • Bump assertj-core from 3.17.1 to 3.18.0
    • Bump commons-io from 2.7 to 2.8.0
    • Bump commons-lang3 from 3.7 to 3.9
    • Bump commons-text from 1.3 to 1.9
    • Bump git-commit-id-plugin from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3
    • Bump icu4j from 67.1 to 68.1
    • Bump junit5.version from 5.6.2 to 5.7.0
    • Bump junrar from 7.3.0 to 7.4.0
    • Bump maven-project-info-reports-plugin from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1
    • Bump metadata-extractor from 2.14.0 to 2.15.0
    • Bump oshi-core from 5.2.5 to 5.3.4
    • Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.0.4 to 4.1.4
Notes:
  • We fully support Windows 7+, and have limited support for Windows XP and Vista
  • macOS 10.10+ is fully supported
cesedy

Re: Version 9.8.2 released

Post by cesedy »

SubJunk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:14 am ...soon we will release the first pre-release for v10...
Been looking at UMS.com for the past 6 months almost every day, thinking, that this will be the day for v10 release. :mrgreen:
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Today I have installed versión 9.8.2. After starting it Avast antivirus has detected a IDP.Generic virus in C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\jre15\bin\javaw.exe

I had several previous versions installed and this had never happened.

I think this can be a false positve

Congratulations for this great tool. I hope versión 10 will be available soon
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

cesedy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:53 am
SubJunk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:14 am ...soon we will release the first pre-release for v10...
Been looking at UMS.com for the past 6 months almost every day, thinking, that this will be the day for v10 release. :mrgreen:
Hahaha, I feel your pain! We are ready for the first alpha release, but have decided to make a new website for it. If you want to try it I can make a build for you, just let me know your operating system
Alfredo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:56 am Today I have installed versión 9.8.2. After starting it Avast antivirus has detected a IDP.Generic virus in C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\jre15\bin\javaw.exe

I had several previous versions installed and this had never happened.

I think this can be a false positve

Congratulations for this great tool. I hope versión 10 will be available soon
Thanks for reporting that. We use the JRE releases from AdoptOpenJDK so I wonder if they are aware of that too. Also the same offer to you, I can make you a pre-alpha build
chichan

Post by chichan »

Hi,
Unfortunately my Win 10 PC didn't seem to like this update :cry:

I received a message from UMS informing me there was an update. I clicked the download/update button and 9.8.2. was downloaded and installed however the UMS icon didn't appear in my system tray after installation.

I tried launching UMS via the app icon but nothing happened. Couldn't see UMS in the task manager display either.

Rebooted, expecting to see UMS launch as normal on startup. It didn't.

Looked in the Windows event viewer, couldn't see anything obvious there either.

I decided to download the 982 exe from the website and do a fresh install but MS Defender stepped in to block me from executing the exe (this is something I raised on a previous thread ( https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... 424#p42424 ). I can confirm that MS Defender did not step in for 981 but has returned to disrupt 982.

Any ideas?

I suppose I could ignore the MS Defender message and do a fresh install of 982 but thought I'd check in first to see if the original problem I described is a known issue.

Thanks
romel

Post by romel »

Reading about the false positive I've checked the .EXE and the jre15-x64|x86 without virus warn.

What I do is download the installer, open it with 7-zip and then extract to the UMS folder.

I've modified the batch launcher in order to locate manually the JRE to use and launch UMS and set location of VLC (I don't like install VLC, I use it Portable, so I just do a copy of VLC into UMS folder); it has a custom name in order to avoid overwrite it on extraction | update, so that's the escenario.

During the extraction I didn't receive any warn by Microsoft Defender; then manually did the scan to the folders jre15-x64 / jre15-x86 with no detection.

Due to I didn't modified the "custom" batch launcher, so - the 9.8.2 was launched with jre14-x64 and didn't get any warn by Microsoft Defender. Next, I modified the launcher to use the jre15-x64; the UMS was launched without any problem nor a warn (except the permission for the JRE in the MS-Firewall).

Thanks for the update.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It is frustrating that MS Defender is doing this kind of thing. Maybe we can try not changing the folder name when we bump JRE next time, so that it doesn't have a new folder to freak out about :D I will try to remember that when we move to JRE 16.
I wish there was a non-paid way we could prove we are trustworthy, with both Microsoft and Apple. But they both want us to pay recurring fees to avoid these hoops. It is disadvantageous to open source development.
chichan

Post by chichan »

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, MS Defender did intervene when I use the downloaded .exe (from your website) to manually install 9.7.1 and 9.8.2. It did not intervene when I did the same with 9.8.0 and 9.8.1. Hope that helps.

Back to my current issue. I was running 9.8.1 quite happily, no issues at all. I received the message telling me that "Version 9.8.2 is available" do I clicked the Download button and it went ahead and installed 9.8.2 (MS Defender doesn't intervene when it is done this way). The installation appeared to work fine but UMS is now dead. It simply won't load. I've tried rebooting. I've tried manually launching UMS via the UMS icon. Nothing happens, no error messages, nothing.

(Note, I had a similar issue before when I installed 9.8.0 although that time I received an error message (something about Java being active). I managed to fix it by doing another clean install.)

So, not sure what to do. I wonder if it is something to do with permissions when the auto update occurs.

Any ideas? Thanks.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Can you please see if there is anything in debug.log, usually C:/ProgramData/UMS