Privacy of Files

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Fourh

Privacy of Files

Post by Fourh »

Hello,

I am a very privacy-oriented person and am looking for the best in home media server which has no contact with the outside internet. For files I upload to this software, is it possible for anyone outside my home to access the files (including the devs of this software)? If so are my files scanned by them or any third-party groups? Thank you for your help!
valib
Developer

Re: Privacy of Files

Post by valib »

No it is not possible, only devices on your private net are allowed to scan your files. This is a natural feature of the UPnP implementation that only devices whose physically sit on the local network can share resources. You can filter the IP addresses or add those to the white list to configure which local devices could do it. See the https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... nd-Privacy. You can also disable the external network (means internet) but you lost some UMS features like automatic dowloading informations from IMdB.
cesedy

Post by cesedy »

When I opened DMZ (my PC had external IP) for my computer which was running UMS, I noticed that there were two renderers connected outside from my local network. They had external IP addresses. When I searched, who owned these IP`s, they were associated with somthin.amazon.com
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Like valib said, UMS is as private as your network is. We can't let new people into your network. If you are seeing unwanted traffic on your network that's something that can be addressed with a firewall and/or router/modem settings.