No Renderers After Two days of Troubleshooting

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cosmo727

No Renderers After Two days of Troubleshooting

Post by cosmo727 »

Good Day All

UMS installed on an older windows 10 laptop with 1 TB hard drive attached
Trying to connect to 1 android tv box (Bee Link GT King), chromecast with google TV, 2 android phones, and an LG Smart TV

New to the forum so please be gentle

Here is what led me to UMS...I recently purchased the new chromecast with google tv and realized that it has a limitation when connecting an external drive through a USB hub. It can only recognize the FAT32 system. No good for me because I have lots of media over 4GB.

Ok, so I decide to do some googling and came across UMS or media sharing from Windows. I think perfect because I also have an android tv box and a couple of mobile devices I would like to share to. How hard can it be?

I tried windows media share with no luck. Media showed up but was unable to play.
I tried Plex but it was playing all files at very low quality even though I think my IP provider and network set-up is capable of playing my files full quality.

I like the simplicity of UMS...too much fluff on Plex.
The issue I am having is that I can not see any renderers in UMS. I can see the devices in my Router page.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

- all firewalls and anti virus disabled - nil fix
- Nord VPN off - nil fix
- shut off plex prior to starting UMS - nil fix
- tried adding devices to managed list in router even though all was allowed - nil fix
- plus a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall

What am I missing?
Log attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-02-05-20-46.zip
(286.15 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
cosmo727

Re: No Renderers After Two days of Troubleshooting

Post by cosmo727 »

Just tried installing on another laptop (Windows 10) - No Luck
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Since you mentioned using a VPN, my first guess is that UMS could be using that network adaptor instead of your real network. looking at your log though UMS is ignoring that VPN and using the first physical connection which is your wireless connection.

Code: Select all

192.168.0.13 found on network interface: name:wlan2 (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter)
If you are using a wired connection, this is why UMS can't see anything. but being a laptop that will be right.

To force UMS to use another network, in General settings under "network settings (advanced)" change "force networking on interface" to your controller.

I don't know much about networking, besides keeping the settings on auto and let the router and devices set themselves up, so can't be much more help.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
cosmo727

Post by cosmo727 »

Thanks for the reply,

In the "force networking on interface" dropdown menu I selected "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (192.168.0.13)"

Still no change.
cosmo727

Post by cosmo727 »

I am now in the process of trying previous versions. Starting from the most recent and working my way down one by one.
I am currently trying 9.7.1 with no luck.

Any additional ideas or T/S tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going crazy trying to get this to work.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

It seems to me like the network problem. Do you have your renderer at the same subnet like the PC with the UMS? You wrote that you tried setting of your router.
cosmo727

Post by cosmo727 »

I got it working!!

Newbie mistake...I was waiting for the devices to show up automatically.
Once I opened up individual apps on my devices such as VLC, the renderers started showing up.
The ony device that showed up automatically was my LG Smart TV.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.