Can't run UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
elscorcho

Can't run UMS

Post by elscorcho »

I have upgraded to Java7 but still won't run, msg:
'Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Could not find the main class: net.pms.PMS. Program will exit.'
?
orgon3

Re: Can't run UMS

Post by orgon3 »

Same here. This happened right after installing 2.5.2.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Reinstall and when you get to the screen "Advanced Settings" set the Java heap limit to 1200. I'll report this to Subjunk as he's changed the code for computers with greater than 4GB of ram to have a larger heap size.
I'm sure this will be fixed by the next release.

EDIT: If you dont wont to reinstall you can goto "Run" type "Regedit" Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Univesal Media Server and change HeapMem to anything below 1200 and you'll be fine
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Silverbrain

Post by Silverbrain »

Re running the setup with the heap at 1200 fixed the issue. Was about to set it back to 786, but thought I'd check here first. Thanks Optimus.
orgon3

Post by orgon3 »

Optimus_prime wrote:Reinstall and when you get to the screen "Advanced Settings" set the Java heap limit to 1200. I'll report this to Subjunk as he's changed the code for computers with greater than 4GB of ram to have a larger heap size.
I'm sure this will be fixed by the next release.

EDIT: If you dont wont to reinstall you can goto "Run" type "Regedit" Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Univesal Media Server and change HeapMem to anything below 1200 and you'll be fine
Setting to 1200 still caused the crash. Setting to 1199 still caused the crash. I set it back to 786 and it worked.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

That could be releated to other programs using java as well. If another program is utilising java as well it will lower the amount of Java Memory UMS will be able to allocate itself.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
orgon3

Post by orgon3 »

Optimus_prime wrote:That could be releated to other programs using java as well. If another program is utilising java as well it will lower the amount of Java Memory UMS will be able to allocate itself.
javaw.exe was not running at all until I started UMS. When I exit UMS, javaw.exe terminates as well. It is safe to say that it is the only program currently using Java on my machine.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hey it's scorchy! My old friend :D
Hmm, maybe the only safe thing is to go back to using 768 by default for everyone
In the meantime like what was already said, just re-install the program and in the installer replace 1152 in the memory box with 768