New Android TV User asking for advices

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sheen

New Android TV User asking for advices

Post by Sheen »

Hello,

I've used Ums for years on an old Samsung E Smart TV, experience was great, thanks to the team.
I've just bought a projector on Android TV 10 (XGimi Horizon Global Version), and I'm a new user on this operating system.

At this time, I'm using :
- Undetected device so I'm forcing Android profile (detected as Philips Android TV)
- VLC for Android TV

After a few hours and a few tries it works quite great.
There are just some videos I can't fast forward, it does not seems related to the projector btw because when running VLC Linux on the computer running ums, same movies have the same issues (sorry I can't post log at this time).

I'd like to get some advice about the best android dlna player available, and the best profile to use in ums for this kind of system, thank you :)
mik_s

Re: New Android TV User asking for advices

Post by mik_s »

Seeking issues will be from the video being transcoded, either because it is unsupported on that device or the conf file is incorrect. Some devices request a byte position in the file to move to instead a time position and this is not possible while transcoding as it is done in real time and the rest of the video does not exist yet.

If your TV is running the VLC app then you should use the VLC-for-desktop.conf, you should not need to force a conf as UMS should detect VLC when it is running.

There was a change in version numbers in VLC that UMS could not detect but I updated the conf here so it will and it has already been updated in next version.

To see if the video can be played without transcoding then try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab, in the web GUI it is in the "virtual folders/files" section) If it works then the conf can be updated.

I have heard Kodi might have better to use on an android TV, you could try that.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Sheen

Post by Sheen »

Thank you for your reply, I will give a try to your advice.
zealot666

Post by zealot666 »

Me i get VLC for desktop on my ums but in fact its an android10 box that my isp gave me. i guess everything is alright. Merci pour ce merveilleux logiciel je donne a l'occasion quelques dollars.