recommend blu-ray player?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
rafer

recommend blu-ray player?

Post by rafer »

My PS is getting long in the tooth and it's about time for me to upgrade it but since I don't game much these days might as well just get a decent blu-ray player. Looking for recommendations for a blu-ray player with an Ethernet port that does a great job handling UMS.
mik_s

Re: recommend blu-ray player?

Post by mik_s »

Can't help you with this. Things are moving away from physical media now to on-demand these days.

If your Playstation still works then just keep on using that. If its an early PS3 then it will most likely fail and get a YLOD so maybe a PS4 would be better then you can at least still play games on it even if it is every now and again.

If you want a stand alone player then you will have to look for reviews on other websites
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
rafer

Post by rafer »

I guess basically my question is, how well will a standalone Sony or LG DVD blu-ray player work as a client? Clearly I've been spoiled by the PS, since for instance the Roku DLNA app is pretty bad. Obviously, the PS is pretty much a fairly powerful computer, but if I could find something new for $150 that works about as well as that, I'd jump on it, guess it wouldn't have to be a DVD player.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There will be better options than the PS but can't recommend anything.

If you just want a media player then maybe something that will run Kodi and keep the PS for DVDs and Blurays. I've heard you can run it on cheap android box or even a RaspberryPI if you can get one.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

I use LG Smart TV's these days.
Prior to that I used LG Bluray players which worked good with UMS.
But.... If you do not want the DVD/Bluray function, I think there would be better options like an Android box as suggested by mik_s.
rafer

Post by rafer »

mik_s wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:44 pm There will be better options than the PS but can't recommend anything.

If you just want a media player then maybe something that will run Kodi and keep the PS for DVDs and Blurays. I've heard you can run it on cheap android box or even a RaspberryPI if you can get one.
gak! this is why I ask stupid questions, it never even dawned on me to use a Raspberry PI as a *client*, thank you.
rafer

Post by rafer »

Raspberry Pi *definitely* the way to go, I would say on the whole it works better than the PS3. I'm an old Linux fan so tried to use Raspbian and install something else, but turns out OSMC is the best fit out of the box - really it's like the RP was made for just this sort of use.