TV is greyed out, only a webpage is opening, Malwarebytes blocks an inbound socket when opening

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
plshelp

TV is greyed out, only a webpage is opening, Malwarebytes blocks an inbound socket when opening

Post by plshelp »

A few things here, forgive me if they're dumb questions as I'm a little new to this. I tried searching around for solutions, but didn't find much anything.

1. As shown here (https://ibb.co/c3JFQ7D), whenever I try to view my TV to stream music to, it's greyed out as a selection, and I can't do anything with it. What exactly is wrong, and why can't I select the TV? The model is shown there, an LG UJ6300 updated to the most recent firmware.

2. Only the webpage opens when I click UMS, the webpage shown above opens, but no application opens. Only when I right click the dock and click "settings (old)" does something in windows open. Is that normal? "settings" does nothing.

3. I get this (https://ibb.co/4R3Jcc6) notification in Malwarebytes when opening the program sometimes, is this disabling some functionality and flagging a false positive for UMS, or is it real? What is it?

My log files are below, if I even did that right.
removed

if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.
plshelp

Re: TV is greyed out, only a webpage is opening, Malwarebytes blocks an inbound socket when opening

Post by plshelp »

I don't think I can edit my post so I'll make another comment here.

I don't think it's a router thing, since I can navigate from the TV itself to my computer and select things, but that's incredibly inconvenient with a TV remote, so I'd really prefer to do it with the UMS app.
mik_s

Re: TV is greyed out, only a webpage is opening, Malwarebytes blocks an inbound socket when opening

Post by mik_s »

1. controlling devices from UMS is currently disabled last time I checked. There was a big move to web settings recently and that was one of the things that has been given a low priority as I think there were problems with it. I'm assuming there are plans to redo it as the option is there but greyed out at the moment. I think there are some UPnP control point apps that you can use instead that you can use to request some media to play from UMS then it will push it to the TV. I have not used them myself so not sure how to use them.

That screenshot is just the status screen showing what devices are connected to UMS. The settings is in the menu button on the top right corner of the screen.

Some devices like LG TVs have a second screen service and UMS thinks it is a separate device so that is why it shows up twice.

2. This is normal as the web settings is replacing the old GUI which gives the devs more freedom changing it.
The old GUI code is a mess and no-one currently has much luck trying to improve it so they made the decision to focus on the web interface instead.
This also has the advantage of giving a better way to configure on headless systems.
The old GUI is still there and will probably stay for a while but is unlikely to be updated.

3. I don't know about that but is probably a false flag when UMS tries to gather metadata on your files. If you don't need this then you can disable the "enable external network" option. This is mostly used when using the web player on http://localhost:9002/ (replace localhost with the IP of the computer if accessing from another machine)

You can attach your log files directly to the forum. I am not familiar with that site you used so not going to click it and I'll remove it just in case. If you repost your logs then I'll see if malwarebytes is blocking anything important. It would be good to know what it says in the advanced tab in malwarebytes as it might say exactly what was blocked.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Worth noting that the old interface is still able to control devices from UMS like before. That's one reason we have kept it around