External input stream instance is null... stopping process

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
richtr8

External input stream instance is null... stopping process

Post by richtr8 »

Hi,

I'm using UMS on arch. Not sure why, but it seems like ffmpeg is totally busted on my setup. Not sure what to try.
I was trying to set up hardware acceleration. I compiled ffmpeg from source with git clone, make & then sudo make install - now everything's busted. I tried sudo make uninstall, no luck.

The usual files are attached.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2023-04-26-03-48.zip
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 424 times
mik_s

Re: External input stream instance is null... stopping process

Post by mik_s »

I'm not that familiar with either building FFmpeg or with linux so I'm not 100% sure what the problem is but it may be that UMS is using a version of FFmpeg that is already on your system and not the version you are compiling. If this is the case then you can set which one to use by editing UMS.conf to point to the right one.

Code: Select all

# Path to ffmpeg (absolute or relative from project.binaries.dir)
# Example: /usr/bin/ffmpeg
# Default:
#     Win: win32/ffmpeg.exe
#     Mac: osx/ffmpeg
#     Linux: ffmpeg + system PATH
ffmpeg_path =
It could also be that the version UMS relies on is from a different fork with extra features.

From what I can tell the reason it is failing is that your FFmpeg does not understand the -preset option

Reading option '-preset' ...Unrecognized option 'preset'.
Checking your version of FFmpeg with what my system is using shows different versions:

Yours - ffmpeg version  N-110395-g2f8690c5d4 Copyright (c) 2000-2023 the FFmpeg developers
Mine  - ffmpeg version 2022-12-25-git-eeb280f351-essentials_build-www.gyan.dev Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
As far as I know the version used by UMS already has support for hardware encoding using the GPU so you should not need to build it yourself unless there is something specific you need. I would suggest using the version that is installed with UMS.
FFmpeg_GPU.jpg
FFmpeg_GPU.jpg (137.23 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Re: External input stream instance is null... stopping process

Post by mik_s »

I think the answer is in this thread.
The ffmpeg version included in UMS is a large file with support for xvid, x264 and x265 built in.
root root 50848812 Sep 6 09:20 /opt/ums/ums/linux/ffmpeg

The ffmpeg version with Gentoo Linux is a much smaller file and extra packages (eg: xvid, x264 and x265) have to be installed separately.
root root 289772 Nov 21 13:00 /usr/bin/ffmpeg
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.