[Solved] UMS don't appearing on any devices

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
suiyama

[Solved] UMS don't appearing on any devices

Post by suiyama »

I can't use the server in a while, it was missing and gone in all TVs. Tried everything: firewalls ports, updating java, uninstalling and reinstalling different new and old UMS versions, re-disabled Windows firewall (actually using Kaspersky Plus 21.13 and allow everything in it). I've opened also open my router ports too, but nothing I do seems to work. UMS can't see my Samsung Q70t, PS3 or anything (iPhone too) as a renderer though. And the devices can't see the UMS too, the only renderer that shows is my Desktop/Google Chrome. It's driven me nuts, I've been using UMS for ages and for months can't use anymore. One more info: My router is connected with cable on my desktop and with an internet switch that connects to the Samsung Q70t too, everything works like a charm except for the UMS past months. Please, appreciate help here, thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg_2023-06-03-04-41.zip
(338.82 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by suiyama on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mik_s

Re: UMS don't appearing on any devices

Post by mik_s »

I can't see any connections from your devices except from your computer.

I thought that UMS might be using the wrong network interface like your VPN, but it is using 192.168.0.125 which looks normal.
Check to see if your devices are on the same sub-network. Their IPs should start with 192.168.0.xxx for UMS to find them.

As you say all your devices are connected to the switch then to the router going to your computer I suspect something has gone wrong on the switch, maybe it is mis-configured and everything connected to it is on a different subnet. If this suddenly started to happen then there may have been an update to your router or switch that changed some settings.

I know little about networking so can't be of much help here. Only thing I can think of if the switch and router have DHCP enabled then they could be giving out different IPs.
See if you can turn one of them off so only one can give out IPs.
You do not need to open any ports on the router as all traffic will be internal to the network so no need to expose them to the outside world.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

It sounds to me like the "internet switch", which everything is connected to except the PC could be a wireless router which is setup as a router on a different subnet than the router which the desktop is connected to.

Further information about the hardware could help solve the issue.

Which router is connected to the ISP (make and model).
What is the make and model of the other "internet switch".
suiyama

Post by suiyama »

boss wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:03 pm It sounds to me like the "internet switch", which everything is connected to except the PC could be a wireless router which is setup as a router on a different subnet than the router which the desktop is connected to.

Further information about the hardware could help solve the issue.

Which router is connected to the ISP (make and model).
What is the make and model of the other "internet switch".
mik_s wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:43 am I can't see any connections from your devices except from your computer.

I thought that UMS might be using the wrong network interface like your VPN, but it is using 192.168.0.125 which looks normal.
Check to see if your devices are on the same sub-network. Their IPs should start with 192.168.0.xxx for UMS to find them.

As you say all your devices are connected to the switch then to the router going to your computer I suspect something has gone wrong on the switch, maybe it is mis-configured and everything connected to it is on a different subnet. If this suddenly started to happen then there may have been an update to your router or switch that changed some settings.

I know little about networking so can't be of much help here. Only thing I can think of if the switch and router have DHCP enabled then they could be giving out different IPs.
See if you can turn one of them off so only one can give out IPs.
You do not need to open any ports on the router as all traffic will be internal to the network so no need to expose them to the outside world.
Thanks for your time, gentlemen, and sorry for any English inconvenience, English is not my native language. I looked for DHCP and the subnet (but I think the switch has auto configuration and can't be accessed), but I had no luck Friday.
I remembered two things:

1 - My PS3 is in another room and connected to WI-FI and can't access the UMS too (in the past, works fine like the TV connected with cable).
2 - My fianceé remembered me that the internet provider months ago changed their router and then the UMS problems began. With the old router everything works fine with the UMS (but we need to change due a problem months ago).

Yesterday I looked for everything in my internet provider router and I have success to see the devices in UMS when I disable DHCP! But, sadly, I can't access my router again and lose any internet connection and even can't turn on DHCP again... On the sacred Sunday I've been with no internet, than I have to call my internet and cable provider and they change their router. Everything works normally now, maybe that router has a HDCP problem, I really don't know for sure.

Anyway, I'm really appreciate the kindness here and leave this to anyone that may have the same issues. Thanks, guys!
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If you ever have config problems with your router and cannot change them back you can just do a factory reset, there is usually a hidden button that does this.
I think the router's DHCP should be left on but if the switch has one then it has to be turned off. (I don't even know if network switches can be configured)

I heard that some routers need to be in bridge mode to connect some wired and wireless traffic but can't remember any more than that.

Could you post the IPs of your devices as that may give a clue. Also more info about your router and switch like make and models will help.

I think the problem is definitely with your network configuration. @Boss knows a lot more than me on this so he might be able to figure it out.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

It sounds like when the internet provider installed the new router, it was set on a different IP range than the original router.
EG: Original routers LAN IP was 192.168.0.1 and the new routers LAN IP was 192.168.1.1

The other routers/wireless access points could have been in the 192.168.0.x range.
Depending on how it was all setup, you could have access to the internet on all devices but the local devices could not communicate with each other.

It seems like this issue (of different subnets), is becoming more of an issue with UMS users. This is not the fault of UMS but rather a network setup problem at the premises.

This is the best way to have the network setup with or without UMS.

Lets assume that the LAN IP of the ISP's router is 192.168.0.1 (This is based on the ISP's router NOT running in bridge mode and NOT using your own router for routing and DHCP services).

ISP Router IP: 192.168.0.1
ISP Router: DHCP on and the DHCP address range is: 192.168.0.20 - 192.168.0.254
Other routers/wireless access points connected to the ISP router or connected to a switch which is connected to the ISP's router.
LAN cable from one of the LAN ports on the ISP router (or switch if you are running a switch) to a LAN port (NOT WAN port) on the other router/wireless access points.

Give the other router(s)/wireless access point(s) fixed IP's in the 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.19 range.
Turn off DHCP on these other router(s)/wireless access point(s).
suiyama

Post by suiyama »

boss wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:15 pm It sounds like when the internet provider installed the new router, it was set on a different IP range than the original router.
EG: Original routers LAN IP was 192.168.0.1 and the new routers LAN IP was 192.168.1.1

The other routers/wireless access points could have been in the 192.168.0.x range.
Depending on how it was all setup, you could have access to the internet on all devices but the local devices could not communicate with each other.

It seems like this issue (of different subnets), is becoming more of an issue with UMS users. This is not the fault of UMS but rather a network setup problem at the premises.

This is the best way to have the network setup with or without UMS.

Lets assume that the LAN IP of the ISP's router is 192.168.0.1 (This is based on the ISP's router NOT running in bridge mode and NOT using your own router for routing and DHCP services).

ISP Router IP: 192.168.0.1
ISP Router: DHCP on and the DHCP address range is: 192.168.0.20 - 192.168.0.254
Other routers/wireless access points connected to the ISP router or connected to a switch which is connected to the ISP's router.
LAN cable from one of the LAN ports on the ISP router (or switch if you are running a switch) to a LAN port (NOT WAN port) on the other router/wireless access points.

Give the other router(s)/wireless access point(s) fixed IP's in the 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.19 range.
Turn off DHCP on these other router(s)/wireless access point(s).
mik_s wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm If you ever have config problems with your router and cannot change them back you can just do a factory reset, there is usually a hidden button that does this.
I think the router's DHCP should be left on but if the switch has one then it has to be turned off. (I don't even know if network switches can be configured)

I heard that some routers need to be in bridge mode to connect some wired and wireless traffic but can't remember any more than that.

Could you post the IPs of your devices as that may give a clue. Also more info about your router and switch like make and models will help.

I think the problem is definitely with your network configuration. @Boss knows a lot more than me on this so he might be able to figure it out.
The problem is that here in Brazil. largest internet provider is Claro (former NET) and they are cable service provider too and their routers are cable TV based and maybe cannot be reseted by costumer, only with the tech expert from the company. I remember (3 AM crazy with no internet) that I tryed do reset the router and internet don't turn back on or the HDCP and with no IP I can't access the router no more. Simply turn OFF the HDCP went router gone rogue. The routers from them are labelled "CLARO" only makers, the setup screen of their routers are not the regular ones, they appear as unique CLARO setup screen (weird). Anyway I can't access the modem anymore with the standard IP adress. Maybe I was since the beginning with a broken router, because it never worked with UMS, but I don't know. Sorry guys I'm far from expert in any of that.

The pro: UMS work fine in 4K and Download speed up a bit. The cons are that my ping (online games will be a pain) with the new router is no good as before, increased a bit too...

I have a list of CLARO routers here: https://configuraraparelhos.claro.com.b ... ernet-fixa

My old router is: CBN CH8568
My new router is: Technicolor TC3102
My internet Switch is: TP-Link Gigabit desktop Switch QL-SG1005D

Again, my many thanks to you, guys, hope that can save someone!
boss

Post by boss »

The ISP's router is the: Technicolor TC3102?
And all you have connected to that is the TP-Link SG1005D switch?

You have no other routers or wireless access points there?
suiyama

Post by suiyama »

boss wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:55 pm The ISP's router is the: Technicolor TC3102?
And all you have connected to that is the TP-Link SG1005D switch?

You have no other routers or wireless access points there?
Sorry, yes, the ISP router now is the: Technicolor TC3102, cable connected with my Desktop and with TP-Link SG1005D.

And WI-FI connected to:
Notebook Acer
Nintendo Switch
Chromecast 4
PS3
2 Iphones

And TP-Link SG1005D switch is cable connected to:

Tp-Link EX220 Wi-Fi 6 Dual Band AX1800 (but not a problem, it's a excellent router, I looked and restart it to tests, but always work well just to share internet in other floor, when ISP change de router the problem is solved and it continues to do the job up here).
PS5 (looked and restart it to tests too)
SAMSUNG Q70t (looked and restart it to tests too)
boss

Post by boss »

The Tp-Link EX220 should NOT be setup as a router.
This device actually has an access point mode and that is how it should be setup.

The problem is usually when you have 2 routers on 2 different subnets (not a good idea), is that the devices on both routers normally get internet access but the devices on 1 router cannot talk to the devices on the other router.

So if your desktop (running UMS) is connected to router 1 and your TV is connected to router 2, the TV cannot communicate with UMS.

On your desktop, if you bring up a command window and type: ipconfig (and then press enter), it will tell you what the default gateway is.
The default gateway will be the LAN IP of the ISP Technicolor TC3102 router.

The first 3 groups of numbers: 192.168.0 or 192.168.1 etc should be the same as the first group of 3 numbers of the IP address of the Tp-Link EX220.